VA Loan Question

giacona

LoanSafe Member
I have a question regrading a VA Loan. I was speaking to a friend who told me look into see if I would qualify for a VA loan since my father was in the army.

Please see below and I would grateful for some opinions

My father was in the army, and is deceased. As a surviving child would I be able to qualify for a VA loan?

Thanks in advance

JohnFL

LoanSafe Member
Unfortunately No, you have to be the actual veteran. The spouse of a deceased veteran may be eligible but I'm not exactly sure.

Jzone

LoanSafe Member
I have a question regrading a VA Loan. I was speaking to a friend who told me look into see if I would qualify for a VA loan since my father was in the army.

Please see below and I would grateful for some opinions

My father was in the army, and is deceased. As a surviving child would I be able to qualify for a VA loan?

Thanks in advance
Unfortunately, children of veterans do not qualify but surviving spouses do.

Not all who have served in the Armed Forces qualify for a VA loan. You must meet at least one of the following criteria to qualify:
  • Served 181 days of active service during peacetime.
  • Served 90 consecutive days of active service during wartime.
  • Served more than 6 years of service with the National Guard or Reserves or 90 days under Title 32 with at least 30 of those days being consecutive.
  • Are the spouse of a service member who lost their life in the line of duty or as the result of a service-connected disability. You generally cannot have remarried, although there are exceptions.