What documentation is needed for a mortgage refinance?

the documents required will vary depending on the lender you use. If you stick with your lender who gave you your first mortgage, chances are they still have a lot of your information already on file. However, much of this information can change over the years and will most likely be updated. Some lenders might require pay stubs over another form of income. Other lenders may even request your diplomas and transcripts. Remember with the information you provide, you must also provide all necessary documents along with that income.

The assets above are just a few examples of what the lender may request. If you are receiving a gift from someone, you must bring a copy of the gift letter. With bank statements for various bank accounts, you’ll usually have to bring the most recent 2-3 months of statements which have to include the account names, addresses, account numbers and balances.

For the loan-to-value appraisal, it is wise to consult with a local real estate who can help you obtain this information. Any lender will definitely want an informal appraisal that shows how much your house is worth, compared with what you owe on its existing mortgage loan. If you don’t know the balance of your existing mortgage loan, call the lender for an update. Most lenders will accept informal appraisals and estimates of relevant figures, but others will require a formal analysis.

Here is a list of the general items and documents you will need to refinance your mortgage:

– Photo ID and social security number
– Proof of income (copy of paycheck over last 30 days or contact info of employer for last 1-2 years).

Self employed borrowers must provide a year-to-date profit and loss statements or balance sheets. Pension plans, social security, alimony and rental property statements also qualify for legitimate income sources

– Tax forms (W-2s and 1099s), are generally required for each loan applicant. Self employed borrowers must have signed tax returns from previous 2 years

– Financial records of debts such as student loans, car notes, child support, alimony, insurance and tax bills

– Homeowners insurance policy

– Bank statements for checking accounts, savings accounts, credit union accounts, mutual fund accounts, retirement plans statements,401Ks forms and any other assets

– Statements for mutual funds, bonds and other securities

– Copy of deed to your property

– Copy of title insurance

– Loan-to-value appraisal

– A list of your addresses of residences for the last two years.

– Copy of purchase agreement (If a new construction loan, you may need to provide copies of plans and specifications)

– If you are a resident alien, evidence of permanent residency issued by INS (Green Card)