The $9 Billion Witness: Meet Jpmorgan Chase's Worst Nightmare

NeedhelpinPA.

LoanSafe Member
Feb 14, 2013
Interesting Read..................

Meet the woman JPMorgan Chase paid one of the largest fines in American history to keep from talking

By Matt Taibbi | November 6, 2014 - She tried to stay quiet, she really did. But after eight years of keeping a heavy secret, the day came when Alayne Fleischmann couldn't take it anymore.

"It was like watching an old lady get mugged on the street," she says. "I thought, 'I can't sit by any longer.'"

Fleischmann is a tall, thin, quick-witted securities lawyer in her late thirties, with long blond hair, pale-blue eyes and an infectious sense of humor that has survived some very tough times. She's had to struggle to find work despite some striking skills and qualifications, a common symptom of a not-so-common condition called being a whistle-blower.

Fleischmann is the central witness in one of the biggest cases of white-collar crime in American history, possessing secrets that JPMorgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon late last year paid $9 billion (not $13 billion as regularly reported – more on that later) to keep the public from hearing.

Back in 2006, as a deal manager at the gigantic bank, Fleischmann first witnessed, then tried to stop, what she describes as "massive criminal securities fraud" in the bank's mortgage operations.

Thanks to a confidentiality agreement, she's kept her mouth shut since then. "My closest family and friends don't know what I've been living with," she says. "Even my brother will only find out for the first time when he sees this interview."

Six years after the crisis that cratered the global economy, it's not exactly news that the country's biggest banks stole on a grand scale. That's why the more important part of Fleischmann's story is in the pains Chase and the Justice Department took to silence her.

She was blocked at every turn: by asleep-on-the-job regulators like the Securities and Exchange Commission, by a court system that allowed Chase to use its billions to bury her evidence, and, finally, by officials like outgoing Attorney General Eric Holder, the chief architect of the crazily elaborate government policy of surrender, secrecy and cover-up. "Every time I had a chance to talk, something always got in the way," Fleischmann says.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-9-billion-witness-20141106#ixzz3IPq2odMK
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Last edited by a moderator:

Moe Bedard

Call 1-800-779-4547
Staff member
Loan Safe Mortgage
Aug 10, 2007
Southern California
www.loansafe.org
Yes, VERY interesting and thanks for sharing.

$9 billion in hush money is A LOT of cash! Too bad it doesn't go to the people on Main Street who deserve it.

Reactions: NeedhelpinPA.

bigfrog

LoanSafe Member
Aug 31, 2011
Yup... lots of hush money. But its all at our expenses( bailout money -> why are our tax dollars going here? Are we stupid? ). The few who accepted the hush money need to be punished like the bankers.

People need to be stronger. Fight back people. Give the banks what they want. Give them the house back in a bag of ashes.

val4747

LoanSafe Member
Jan 5, 2010
I couldn't agree with you more bigfrog. We the people need to fight, not go ok we will do what you want, we will spin around until we can't see straight, we will bend over, we like doing what you ask BS. I don't know about you all I do not subscribe to well we can't do anything, its too big, too much corruption, people with money will silence you, sounds like Capone doesn't it. Be afraid, don't rock the boat. BS. I will stand on my principles at all times. Little people get put in jail for this kind of conduct. About time the Big Corrupt Corporations need to have their feet held to the fire. Hey Chase give me 9 billion to keep my mouth shut, then I will give it to the deserving homeowners that you stole from, then I will run for President and get rid of all the corruption. God people please band together.

wanda robo

LoanSafe Member
Sep 29, 2012
NJ
LOL, we should all put in a change of address with our servicers. Do ya wanna send the mortgage statements to the DOJ, or Jamie Dimon's Park Avenue address?

NeedhelpinPA.

LoanSafe Member
Feb 14, 2013
Yup... lots of hush money. But its all at our expenses( bailout money -> why are our tax dollars going here? Are we stupid? ). The few who accepted the hush money need to be punished like the bankers.

People need to be stronger. Fight back people. Give the banks what they want. Give them the house back in a bag of ashes.
Already thought of that bigfrog....BUT I live wall to wall with another family with little kids...NOPE cannot do.

NeedhelpinPA.

LoanSafe Member
Feb 14, 2013
I couldn't agree with you more bigfrog. We the people need to fight, not go ok we will do what you want, we will spin around until we can't see straight, we will bend over, we like doing what you ask BS. I don't know about you all I do not subscribe to well we can't do anything, its too big, too much corruption, people with money will silence you, sounds like Capone doesn't it. Be afraid, don't rock the boat. BS. I will stand on my principles at all times. Little people get put in jail for this kind of conduct. About time the Big Corrupt Corporations need to have their feet held to the fire. Hey Chase give me 9 billion to keep my mouth shut, then I will give it to the deserving homeowners that you stole from, then I will run for President and get rid of all the corruption. God people please band together.

val....I hear you....LOUD AND CLEAR...but EVERY FREAKIN DOOR I WALK THROUGH IT IS A RESOUNDING NO NO NO NO NO.....How many times can I hear the word NO? Some days I can't put one foot in front of the other.

wanda robo

LoanSafe Member
Sep 29, 2012
NJ
OH DEFINITELY JAMIE DIMON.... Park Avenue my ar se.......

I can't even talk to you anymore. Let's just say your email made me lose control of my bladder :) You and your dog may be moving to Mt Vernon, NY, but I'm not giving you the address, crazy lady.