LoanSafe Guide
Jun 18, 2009
SF Bay Area CA
State: Wisconsin
Property Value: ~290K
1[SUP]st[/SUP] Lender: Bank of America- modified
1[SUP]st[/SUP] Loan Balance: 294K
Purchase money? Yes
2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Lender: OneWest (indymac)
2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Loan Balance: 73K
Purchase Money? Yes

Only question is to what Wisconsin (recourse state) will do once (if) I end up settling with OneWest? Can the bank come after me for the money after settlement? Will whatever is charged off be included as "income"?
Many thanks!!
Thanks for your question. If you eventually settle with OneWest, the amount you pay them will be conditioned on their acceptance of the $$ as satisfaction of the note, i.e. the debt is extinguished.

However, please know that the generally accepted rule is to get the 1st permanently handled before addressing a 2nd. If a borrower's 1st were to FC, the junior loans would become SOJLs (unsecured loans and virtually worthless).

For info about your potential income tax liability attributable to COD income, I recommend you consult with your tax person.

samiamaham

LoanSafe Member
Mar 9, 2011
State: CA
Property Value: 652,000
1[SUP]st[/SUP] Lender: Chase
1[SUP]st[/SUP] Loan Balance: 658,500
Purchase money? Yes__X__ No____
2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Lender: Chase
2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Loan Balance: 128,000
Purchase Money? Yes__X*__ No____ * was because I believe the HELOC was done seconds apart and doesn't look like a "purchase money" loan.

I haven't paid 2nd in 4 months. It took me 20 months to get a loan mod on the 1st (after appeal), which didn't even decrease my payments by my tax bill amount and included interest and penalties on the 2 missed payments. I asked them to modify my 2nd and they said I would have to wait until my 1st was finalized, which finally happened.

My Q is, my 1st and my 2nd are with Chase, I'm concerned that they will FC because they own the 1st. Although they call daily and write, I haven't responded. Would you still advise that I not contact them and make an offer if I can justify their loss through current market value and the fact that I have paid my 1st, on time, for last 12 months? I haven't read anything in here about Chase owning 1st and second. Any advice? experiences out there?

Thank you sooooooo much for this site. I imagine it's better than medication (to calm my nerves)

whoopsies

LoanSafe Member
Jul 1, 2011
CA
whoopsies
Thanks for your post. And welcome to Loansafe.

Since you did refinance your first under HARP, that was only possible with the WF HELOC agreeing to subordinate, which they did not legally have to do. Therefore it's possible that WF, as loan servicer for the HELOC, believed that so doing improved their position somehow (they didn't do it to be accommodating toward you, that's for certain). I can only assume now that BOA, the owner of that HELOC, is refusing to cooperate because they already agreed to subordinate, and now a settlement on that subordinated note would then be "punishment" for them having "cooperated" with that subordination.

Here's what I would do. If your HELOC was purchase money (and it may not be), it still is purchase money and non-recourse, since it was not refinanced, but instead subordinated. If so, you'll have no risk that HELOC lender can ever pursue you, even it it becomes a SOJL.

However, if it wasn't purchase $$, and is instead recourse, my path would be the same, but bearing slightly more risk should it ever become a SOJL. In either case, you're presently at absolutely no risk of your 2nd FCing because they're completely underwater.

I would immediately cease all payments on your 2nd (if you haven't already), cease all communications with your 2nd, and follow the Strategy outlined in post #1 of this thread.

Furthermore, I would clear my mind of the remote idea of a modification on that 2nd. The WF HELOC rep stated the 1st would have needed to be HAMPed in order for the 2nd to offer you a 2MP. This is true. But who cares - an eventual settlement is nearly always a better financial deal for the borrower anyway.

BTW, you have made no serious errors thus far, and have actually improved your financial position with your home. The financial disclosures you made to WF 2nd was a faux pas, but WF will not doubt "lose" that stuff anyway, LOL.

You likely have a very long time horizon in which to eventually settle. Good luck!

Hi Tom,

Thank you for the advice. Here's an update to my situation:

My financial situation has changed. I was laid off from my job in August. I've kept my mortgage current but have paid off the balloon payment for my HELOC. I don't think the HELOC was purchased $$ since it was used completely towards the house.

My question is what department as I suppose to be negotiating with? I started getting calls from Wells Fargo Home Preservation to see if I still needed assistance. I completely ignored those calls. I received a notice from Wells Fargo Home Equity Collections Servicing and started receiving calls from the phone number 1-515-324-8000 (although they left the return number as 1-866-992-0966). Should I be returning their calls to negotiate a charge off?

Thanks again.

Travel

LoanSafe Member
Jan 10, 2012
I have read the first page and been through a majority of the posts in this thread. Lots of good advice and insights. Here is my situation

State: NV

Property Value: 183K Zillow (Actual Sales between 170 - 190)
1[SUP]st[/SUP] Lender: Wells Fargo
1[SUP]st[/SUP] Loan Balance: 168000
Purchase money? Yes
2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Lender (HELOC): Wells Fargo
2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Loan Balance: 134,00
Purchase Money? No

I want to keep the house, just try and settle the 2nd. Both loans are current, haven't stopped paying on the 2nd out of fear Wells would foreclose since they also have the 1st.

I currently have a foreclosure and a short sale on my credit from April 2011. My score is currently 676 in about March prior to the foreclosure and short sale, the score was 648. I expected it to be much lower, but all my other debts have been paid and current.

My question is has anyone else been in a similar situation with Wells having both mortgages and how has that worked out?

Thanks.

1531hope

LoanSafe Member
Feb 3, 2010
HELOC charged off

Just received a letter that my HELOC was charged off. Of course the first part of the letter states that they are in the process of reviewing their options for collection, which may incllude referral to an attorney.....blah, blah, blah!!! The last paragraph states that they would like to resolve this matter without taking formal collection action and to please call them immediately so that we can attempt to work out a mutually acceptable arrangement for the resolution of serious delinquency and the future repayment of your account.

I have read through this thread and my question is do I call them or do I wait until they say they want to settle??
I have sent a cease and desist letter so their only means of communication is through the mail

Thanks

Ready2Run

LoanSafe Member
Aug 11, 2010
San Francisco Bay Area, CA
I have read through this thread and my question is do I call them or do I wait until they say they want to settle??
I have sent a cease and desist letter so their only means of communication is through the mail
Personally I believe it is best to deal with them through the mail therefore I wouldn't call them. The strategy states to wait for a settlement offer, doing anything else signals to them that you are worried about this loan. If you decide to respond, I would only respond in writing and state that you prefer to communicate via mail. However, responding could delay a settlement offer.

1531hope

LoanSafe Member
Feb 3, 2010
Thanks for the info. I got a call from the recovery department and decided to call them back. They offered me a settlement of 20%!!! I was shocked! I told them that I couldn't afford that and but I could afford 5%. They said that the bank wouldn't approve that amount. So i thanked him for his time and hung up. I am making progress and not giving up hope. Now it's just a waiting game. He said that in 90 days it will most likely go to a collection agency. Thoughts?

TomEason

LoanSafe Guide
Jun 18, 2009
SF Bay Area CA
Thanks for the info. I got a call from the recovery department and decided to call them back. They offered me a settlement of 20%!!! I was shocked! I told them that I couldn't afford that and but I could afford 5%. They said that the bank wouldn't approve that amount. So i thanked him for his time and hung up. I am making progress and not giving up hope. Now it's just a waiting game. He said that in 90 days it will most likely go to a collection agency. Thoughts?
Follow the strategy guide at post #1.

capote203

LoanSafe Member
Jan 29, 2010
California
Hi Tomeason,

Thank you so much for this thread. It has been extremely helpful to so many people.

Your State:CA
Property Value:1.1M
1[SUP]st[/SUP] Lender: BofA
1[SUP]st[/SUP] Loan Balance:1.045M
Purchase money? Yes
2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Lender: SPS (servicer for PNC)
2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Loan Balance: 277K
Purchase Money? Yes

Following the guidelines in your first post, I stopped paying my 2nd Jul/11 and have had no contact with SPS. Today I received a letter from them offering me the option of Short Payoff of $54K to settle the debt or a Trial Mod with payments of $1291.98 (which is actually a repayment plan). I am interested in settling my 2nd. The short payoff offered is appx 20% - I am planning to counter with 3%, release of the lien , and hopefully some language to lessen the impact on my credit score. Should I ask that it be reported as "paid as agreed". I've been looking through a lot of the posts in this thread, but couldn't find anything addressing this.

I appreciate your time.

wolfeman

LoanSafe Member
Aug 15, 2009
Wow this is great info. I do have a question not addressed in the threads. I stopped paying my 2nd (HELOC) this month. My 1st and 2nd (HELOC) are both with Chase and I bank with Chase and have my 1st set to auto-pay. Should I stay as is or should I close my account and transfer all banking transactions to my credit union? Also, is there a higher risk of foreclose if both 1st and 2nd (HELOC) are with same bank (Chase)? Thanks

tman1971

LoanSafe Member
Jul 22, 2010
Wow this is great info. I do have a question not addressed in the threads. I stopped paying my 2nd (HELOC) this month. My 1st and 2nd (HELOC) are both with Chase and I bank with Chase and have my 1st set to auto-pay. Should I stay as is or should I close my account and transfer all banking transactions to my credit union? Also, is there a higher risk of foreclose if both 1st and 2nd (HELOC) are with same bank (Chase)? Thanks
Close all accounts with Chase. That will also take care of the auto withdrawal. Google "set off" and that will explain why you should close all accounts. It makes no difference who owns the loans or if it is the same lender for both.

ramsey

LoanSafe Member
Mar 14, 2011
Hello Everyone,

I have been following this thread for about 10 months now and applying everything from post #1 (Thanks Tom) were I am running into a problem is my husband is not wanting to follow the steps. He is on me to return SLS's call and see what they want. I keep telling him that we do not want to talk to them as we might make a mistake and give up some info we do not want them to have. I keep telling him that we only want to have written contact with them. I just need some conformation that I am doing this right ... to help keep my on the right path.

We are currently at 11 months of non-payment to Specialized Loan Servicing, the holder of our 2nd. They have sent us a couple of in house modifications over the months and about a half dozen calls up until the last couple weeks. Now they are calling once about every 3-4 days. Sometimes they leave a short message just asking us to give them a call. The message is always very pleasant etc. My husband is just afraid that they are going to foreclose on us and I keep telling him that there is no way at this point they will.

1st Balance 79,800
2nd Balance 141,000

House value $140,000 (according to the agent we had the house listed with / or at least that is what he wanted us to except in a short sale offer.)

TomEason

LoanSafe Guide
Jun 18, 2009
SF Bay Area CA
wolfeman

Thanks for your post. It's good to hear you've found value here.

I agree with tman1971's post.

If it were me, I'd move all my funds to an account at a different bank or credit union. If you want to continue with the auto-pay on your 1st, you can do that; deposit just enough into your Chase account each month to make that payment.

There's no greater risk because Chase services both loans.

Ready2Run

LoanSafe Member
Aug 11, 2010
San Francisco Bay Area, CA
wolfeman

It seems you haven't search the thread well enough since both of your questions have been covered previously in this thread.

For your first question about bank accounts, ahdelta18 posed the question in post #2575 of this thread. Two answers followed in post #2576 and #2578.

For your second question about both loans with the same lender, that has been covered several times. Question asked in post #3185 and answered in post #3188, just as one example.

The results for both of these questions came from a simple thread search for "same bank".

TomEason

LoanSafe Guide
Jun 18, 2009
SF Bay Area CA
Hi ramsey

Thanks for your post. Unfortunately, as do many spouses, you have the additional challenge of convincing your "spousal unit" of the effectiveness of following the strategy. And I do empathize with that challenge.

You're to be commended in having followed the strategy thus far. SLS is apparently becoming more motivated; they realize they'll be lucky to ever see any more $$ on their loan, at least in the foreseeable future.

Let this post confirm that, IMHO, you're following the best path to an eventual settlement with SLS at a very favorable price.

TomEason

LoanSafe Guide
Jun 18, 2009
SF Bay Area CA
capote203

Thanks for your question.

A debtor can try negotiating ("credit bargaining") as a condition of the settlement. However, it's my experience most major lenders won't agree to report to the CRAs anything that could be considered misleading.

The best solution would be for BOA to ask the CRAs to delete all reports on that account. I would ask them to do that as a condition of your settlement.

However, failing that, I believe the best you might expect from BOA is their agreement to report the account "Paid" (nothing after that word). And you'll have to demand that of them as they will likely want to report it as "Settled for ... blah blah" or words to that effect, LOL.

Good luck.

Last edited:

TomEason

LoanSafe Guide
Jun 18, 2009
SF Bay Area CA
R2R

Thanks for your suggestion that readers use the "search tool." As you suggest, I don't believe it's being used frequently enough (or hardly ever). I intend to remind folk to use it to find their answers.

Thanks again for all your valuable contributions here.

amazonmom

LoanSafe Member
Jan 10, 2012
Your State: WA

Property Value: 286K

1st Lender: US BANK
1st Loan Balance: 341K
Purchase money? Yes

2nd Lender: WELLS FARGO HELOC
2nd Loan Balance: 65000
Purchase Money? Yes

I have read most of this thread. I will close my WF checking/savings and take the money. I will refi my first with HAMP 2 in March, I think my 286 K is too high probably and will need more than 125% LTV (US Bank has been nothing but helpful and responsive to me-will post on US Bank thread). Once everything is in place I engage step 1 and stop the autodebits from my Bank Of America checking account (how I currently pay WF). Then I read Sun Tzu's art of war.

WF has been nothing but a source of pain and suffering since I bought the home and I feel no guilt not paying them. I am slightly worried about foreclosure or a wage garnishment but I know those are very unlikely to happen. I tried searching for info about if WF might just start raiding my B of A account for their money even if I stop auto debit. I can find nothing about what they might try- I don't trust WF one iota.

Last edited:

TomEason

LoanSafe Guide
Jun 18, 2009
SF Bay Area CA
amazonmom

Thanks for your post; you're to be commended for following the right strategy!

As for your statement
I am slightly worried about foreclosure or a wage garnishment but I know those are very unlikely to happen. I tried searching for info about if WF might just start raiding my B of A account for their money even if I stop auto debit. I can find nothing about what they might try- I don't trust WF one iota.
I certainly can't blame you for not trusting WF! As for the rest of your concerns, here's a post I made on a different thread on the same subject.

FYI, no person or entity, except for the IRS, can attach any debtor's assets without first having received a court awarded judgment. That cannot happen without your fist being sued and losing. If that were to ever happen, before the judgment creditor were able to enforce their judgment, you'd have plenty of time to move your $$ out of your account.

Status
Not open for further replies.