Save the Date Supplies

Serenity

LoanSafe Member
Oct 17, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
I thought we could start a little list of things you might want to take with you to the Save the Date events. I was TOTALLY unprepared when I went and took note of the things that other people brought to help them get through the day.

1) Food - the Vegas event was held at our Convention Center and they had the standard food kiosks open for business. Great if you don't mind paying $10 for a hot dog and a soda. Bring snacks and drinks to get you through the day.

2) Cash - if you don't bring your own food, you'll need some cash to buy sustenance. Change for the vending machine too.

3) Cell Phone Charger - My cell ran out of juice at around 8pm. And I still had four more hours to go. It would've been nice to be able to plug it in for a bit at one of the outlets.

4) Laptop with wireless connection - If you have one its nice to have with you. Especially if you can use it to finish your NACA profile and/or entertain yourself with a DVD.

5) Neck Pillow - I saw a gentleman with a neck pillow (the type you usually see on airplanes) and I thought that was genius!! Believe me, there is plenty of time for catnaps.

That's pretty much all I have right now. Hopefully some of you who've also attended the events can add to the list.

rameda18

LoanSafe Member
Apr 16, 2009
if you're waiting in line the night before, bring a sleeping bag..chairs...etc...

yeah need something for entertainment while waiting like books to read, magazine, laptops.

wat did you get for your permanant solution? I was in line on sunday night at 9pm and didn't finished till monday night at 9 pm.

Serenity

LoanSafe Member
Oct 17, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
wat did you get for your permanant solution? I was in line on sunday night at 9pm and didn't finished till monday night at 9 pm.
I haven't finished yet. I went on the last day and I have to finish up next weekend in SFO. But I am happy with the offer/recommendation that was written up. Finger's crossed that it will be accepted.

rameda18

LoanSafe Member
Apr 16, 2009
I went on the last day too...wow...what's your lender/investor?

Serenity

LoanSafe Member
Oct 17, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Chase. My problem yesterday was that I had to start at the beginning from orientation on. If I'd gone with my original plan and started on Sunday, I'm pretty sure I would've finished yesterday. Oh well...

caldwell02

LoanSafe Member
Jan 30, 2010
So I was going to go Monday and have Mon and Tues. Just thinking that Sunday is going to be wild. What's your thought?

Serenity

LoanSafe Member
Oct 17, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
So I was going to go Monday and have Mon and Tues. Just thinking that Sunday is going to be wild. What's your thought?
I think its just wild regardless. I think Monday (last day of the event in Vegas) may have had less numbers than the previous days but it still wasn't enough time for several hundred folks to not be able to finish the process.

Are you sure it runs in San Francisco until Tuesday? My counselor and I were chatting about it and she and the counselor at the next table were sure that they'd be done on Monday in San Fran.

NacaNation

LoanSafe Member
Sep 29, 2009
Northern California
Going Monday 10/19 in SF is a good move. I went on a Monday in LA and the crowd was not bad. When I arrived around 9, they had just finished seating the people who were waiting outside before the doors opened. Having the extra day Tuesday is important just in case you need it- they had some computer problems in LA. The first day and the weekend will be a zoo.

jrolfedrev

LoanSafe Member
Sep 1, 2008
the commie state of California
There was a gentleman from Phoenix he brought an air mattress and a 12 pack of bud light and finish them all. Make sure you have to watch your front and back person as well as other line. Some of these folks are so desperate to get in especially with a voucher and they will try to sneak-in. If going to San Fransicko be prepared for the cold weather.

whatdidigetinto

LoanSafe Member
Apr 24, 2008
So i have a question for those that have attended the save the dream event.Is it really necessary to camp out the night before?Once they open the doors does EVERYONE in line go into an audatorium for orientation?After that how do they figure out who was first..to go to the next step?Do you get a number?Also if you have already been submitted (NACA submitted in April)do you still have to listen to the orientation,meet with the counselors or can you go straight to your lender?

Serenity

LoanSafe Member
Oct 17, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
So i have a question for those that have attended the save the dream event.Is it really necessary to camp out the night before?Once they open the doors does EVERYONE in line go into an audatorium for orientation?After that how do they figure out who was first..to go to the next step?Do you get a number?Also if you have already been submitted (NACA submitted in April)do you still have to listen to the orientation,meet with the counselors or can you go straight to your lender?
Its hard to say whether or not camping out is necessary. I don't know what happens when they open the doors but I do know that they try really hard to follow the First Come, First Served mantra.

I went on the last day of the Vegas event, and arrived at the convention center at 9:15am. There was no one in line outside (because they'd already opened the doors). But once I got in, I was guided to a spot in a group and I stayed in that group order for the rest of the day.

So I would imagine that whomever is in line when the doors open gets the first seat to start the process. Maybe someone who went to other days / events can chime in.

They don't give out numbers or anything. Its all done by groups of about 60 people at a time. The group is orientated, counseled etc together. Meaning that the last person in group A has to get through counseling (for instance) before they'll let the first person from group B go to counseling. (I hope that was clear).

As far as I know, if you've already been working with NACA and are just there to meet with the negotiators, you should be able to speak to the red-shirts and they'll guide you through to that stage. Technically you and I are at the same stage. I did the orientation and counseling on Monday at the Vegas event. My booklet is marked with a signature that is supposed to get me pass the "newbies" and straight to the negotiation / meeting with my servicer. That is what we were told when they invited us to join them in San Francisco. If I were you I'd probably call the local office or someone at NACA and ask them what you should say and to whom in order to let them know at the door that you've already done the orientation and counseling.

Is there anything you can print off from your file on the NACA site that shows that you've completed all the other steps? I think that might be helpful ... to have something to show the red-shirts along the way that you're supposed to bypass orientation etc.

I'm not camping out exactly, but I know I'll be in line before sun up. I'll arrive in San Fran around 1am. I'm going to go to the site and eyeball the line. If its crazy long already, I'll probably jump on in. If not, I'll wait awhile but keep an eye on it. Remember, you're basically competing for a spot along with the new San Francisco folks, plus people who're travelling in from LA, Phoenix, Vegas and who knows where. As far as I could tell from the workers at the Vegas event, its been a bit of a snowball with Phoenix being bigger than LA, Vegas bigger than Phoenix. So I'm thinking that San Fran is probably going to be the biggest yet.

Serenity

LoanSafe Member
Oct 17, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
I have a question.

Does anyone have an idea if you can carry on one of those picnic folding chairs on an airplane? I'm striking out with Google and I've been on hold with the airline for awhile.

Thanks!

Harry Seaward

LoanSafe Member
Oct 6, 2009
Here's what I would do if I did it again.

Show up the 2nd or 3rd day of the event around 9:30 or 10am. You should get in within an hour. Make it through the orientation and then ask for a voucher. You should be out of there by noon or 1. Go home and relax the rest of the day. Go back the next morning about 30 min before they open the doors and you'll get moved right in to the counselor waiting area.

This is basically what I did except I didn't know I could ask for a voucher right after the orientation so I wasted 4 hours sitting in the "post-orientation" waiting area before I asked for a voucher. When I went back the next day I ran into people I sat next to the day before that stayed another 4 hours after I left. In other words they were no further ahead for having stayed the extra 4 hours and, really, we all could have left at noon and been right where we ended up the next day just the same. I was out of there by noon on the 2nd day, but my servicer wasn't there so that's a part of the process I skipped. I would have to think that even had I been able to talk to my servicer it would only have been another 2-4 hours.

The cell phone charger is a good idea, although at the PHX event I didn't see any plugs for visitor use. I did bring my laptop the second day but there was no public wi-fi access so I ended up connecting my laptop to the internet through my phone, but it was a hassle and not really worth it. I ended up moving around about every 30 min the second day anyway so I didn't have a lot of down time.

After having said all that, I wouldn't do it again. My servicer wasn't there so trying to get NACA involved turned out to be a colossal waste of time.

davephx

LoanSafe Member
Jul 21, 2009
They even seat you in the orientation session seat by seat by the order you walk in the front door. When we had to go a long way from the orientation area to another area of the convention center everyone had to stay in the right order etc.. This was Phoenix.

I was surprised that the biggest surge seemed to be early morning. I was there about 9:30 no line outside and was in I think the 2nd orientation meeting with the 1st only slightly ahead of ours.

After six hours in the wait for counselor room very very few new folks we added -there was no big wave after the 1st two. I left about 6pm so maybe another wave of folks getting off work. Media reported they stayed open hours longer than scheduled. But I don't think anyone had to come back next day. I was at the first day Friday. We had the LA mob who could not see counselors in LA since too many people.

It sounds like the wave from different cities may be getting bigger since now more have to go to next city (like LA did to Phoenix). I am surprised not the mob problem at least on Fri in Phoenix which like Vegas is about the worst hit city.

Serenity

LoanSafe Member
Oct 17, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Here's what I would do if I did it again.

Show up the 2nd or 3rd day of the event around 9:30 or 10am. You should get in within an hour. Make it through the orientation and then ask for a voucher. You should be out of there by noon or 1. Go home and relax the rest of the day. Go back the next morning about 30 min before they open the doors and you'll get moved right in to the counselor waiting area.

This is basically what I did except I didn't know I could ask for a voucher right after the orientation so I wasted 4 hours sitting in the "post-orientation" waiting area before I asked for a voucher. When I went back the next day I ran into people I sat next to the day before that stayed another 4 hours after I left. In other words they were no further ahead for having stayed the extra 4 hours and, really, we all could have left at noon and been right where we ended up the next day just the same. I was out of there by noon on the 2nd day, but my servicer wasn't there so that's a part of the process I skipped. I would have to think that even had I been able to talk to my servicer it would only have been another 2-4 hours.

The cell phone charger is a good idea, although at the PHX event I didn't see any plugs for visitor use. I did bring my laptop the second day but there was no public wi-fi access so I ended up connecting my laptop to the internet through my phone, but it was a hassle and not really worth it. I ended up moving around about every 30 min the second day anyway so I didn't have a lot of down time.

After having said all that, I wouldn't do it again. My servicer wasn't there so trying to get NACA involved turned out to be a colossal waste of time.
This sounds like a really good strategy! When I arrived at 9:15, there was no line outside or at the sign-in area. I walked right up, got my paperwork and was seated. Then after a 45min wait, up to orientation. It was after orientation that the major wait time happened. If I'd done this on Sunday (instead of Monday), I could've totally gotten a voucher, gone home and returned Monday at 9 to go to counseling.

I wish they'd (NACA) would adopt something like this. Even if they told you to go home and come back in 4 hours it would help alleviate a long day.