Need Help With Citibank/trying To Settle

ligia

LoanSafe Member
Dec 27, 2016
hi, after several years of not paying due to a finical hardship I decided to modify my first loan with bank of America and it was successful. And now I would like to settle with my second mortgage Citibank. I called them to know who my mortgage is with now. after many transfers, they sent me to Citibank recovery and told me the case is with a debt collecting lawyer. they even provided me the number of the lawyer. does that mean my mortgage is still with Citibank? how do I settle? whats my next step?

Moe Bedard

Call 1-800-779-4547
Staff member
Loan Safe Mortgage
Aug 10, 2007
Southern California
www.loansafe.org
Hello,

Yes, your mortgage is still with Citi, but it has been sent to a collections law firm. You need to contact the law firm and tell them you would like to settle. You will need to come up with a fair price to offer your lender when applying, and this will need to be included in your hardship letter you send in. Most professionals suggest to start out with a low offer like 5% and slowly work your way up until you can negotiate an agreeable amount. We have seen many people able to settle these loans for as little as 10-20% of the outstanding balance.

Reactions: ligia

ligia

LoanSafe Member
Dec 27, 2016
Hello,

Yes, your mortgage is still with Citi, but it has been sent to a collections law firm. You need to contact the law firm and tell them you would like to settle. You will need to come up with a fair price to offer your lender when applying, and this will need to be included in your hardship letter you send in. Most professionals suggest to start out with a low offer like 5% and slowly work your way up until you can negotiate an agreeable amount. We have seen many people able to settle these loans for as little as 10-20% of the outstanding balance.

I was very confused on how to begin this process but ur advice really helped me. thank u soo much!

Reactions: Moe Bedard

ligia

LoanSafe Member
Dec 27, 2016
So after I tell them I want to settle ....will they ask me anything else like my financial info
also how do I make a hardship letter?

Reactions: Moe Bedard

Moe Bedard

Call 1-800-779-4547
Staff member
Loan Safe Mortgage
Aug 10, 2007
Southern California
www.loansafe.org
You are welcome. Yes, they will most likely ask for your financial information, but not a hardship letter.