Need Advice On Rental Asap

FedUp02

LoanSafe Member
Apr 26, 2009
Not sure if I am in the right section.......

My husband and I were contacted by our landlord in early August that his son (who is the actual owner of this house) had moved back to town and needed this place back as soon as possible (he moved in with landlord and wife). We are no longer on a lease and pay month to month, so, we assumed that was an at least 30 day notice.

However, he has been calling us to every few days asking how we are doing finding another place. Now, less than one month later he called this past Tuesday (Sept. 5) and asked us if we could be out of here by Friday because junior needs to move out of there and move in here by this coming Friday.

The reason for this, he claimed, is that he and his wife put their house up for sale a while back (he never mentioned that when he was here recently doing repairs) and that they just had an offer that they couldn't refuse from someone who wanted to moved in immediately, so they (landlord & wife) are going to be homeless and need to look for someplace to go too.
Since we have lived here (2 years) we have always sent our rent in to arrive before the due date. We have also kept the place spotlessly clean in what was a dirty place when we moved in. He has mentioned to us that we are good tenants. He also said that we would get an excellent recommendation.

Our problem is that we don't know how to handle this or what to do. We told him that it takes time to find a place to rent or buy, and when you do find one, it takes approximately 30-45 days to finalize a deal.

So, our question is: What is the best thing to do? This has never happened to us.

Thank you!!!!

FedUp02

Last edited by a moderator:

FedUp02

LoanSafe Member
Apr 26, 2009
I think I put this in the wrong section. Sorry. It is also in Ask the Attorneys.

wanda robo

LoanSafe Member
Sep 29, 2012
NJ
I would google" Landlord Tenants Rights, your state."
Doesn't sound like it's legal to do what they are trying to do.

FedUp02

LoanSafe Member
Apr 26, 2009
Thanks Wanda. Will do right away. No, it doesn't sound legal at all.
By the way, we just received an email from him apologizing for the late notice on vacating and he then said that his son can find a temporary alternative if we can be out by next weekend (Sept. 16-17). If we are still here Oct. 1, our rent will have to go up $250 more than we are paying now. I wrote back and said "Message received." I didn't know what else to say.

FedUp02

LoanSafe Member
Apr 26, 2009
Okay - I did a quick check on Landlord Tenants Rights and found out that a rate increase sent by email from a landlord to tenant is not considered valid. Of course, I don't know if he will send a letter on that on not. What a tangled web he's weaved for us.

wanda robo

LoanSafe Member
Sep 29, 2012
NJ
Okay - I did a quick check on Landlord Tenants Rights and found out that a rate increase sent by email from a landlord to tenant is not considered valid. Of course, I don't know if he will send a letter on that on not. What a tangled web he's weaved for us.

Darlin, do not give in. You have more rights as a renter than you did as a "deadbeat" in foreclosure.
If it smells like fish, it probably is.
Learn the law. You got this, girl.

FedUp02

LoanSafe Member
Apr 26, 2009
Darlin, do not give in. You have more rights as a renter than you did as a "deadbeat" in foreclosure.
If it smells like fish, it probably is.
Learn the law. You got this, girl.
Yep, you are right about that too (no pun intended). Yes, it does smell fishy. We are not sure exactly what is going on. We had a good/friendly relationship for two years and were quite surprised when this happened. It just came out of the blue. I am hoping that I might hear from one of the attorneys where I posted this in the "Ask The Attorneys?" section. Staying tuned!

Still checking Landlord Tenant Rights.

Thank you Wanda.