Moe Bedard

Call 1-800-779-4547
Staff member
Loan Safe Mortgage
Aug 10, 2007
Southern California
www.loansafe.org
Knowledge is always a valuable weapon!

The IC3, BBB and state Attorney Generals continues to receive complaints regarding moving company scams. The complaints received at the IC3 do not appear to be linked to each other. There are many individuals who take advantage of those posting moving services on-line, receive an estimate for the service, and hire the company.

Scams include:

• The company showing up, and the estimate suddenly doubles or additional fees are added - Some unscrupulous movers give customers an artifi cially low estimate for their services. Then, on moving day,they revise their estimate and provide a much higher price. By that time, customers have no time to find another mover and have little choice but to go along with the increased rate
  • The counterfeit check scheme - where the victim is selling an item on-line, and the buyer claims a moving company has been hired to pick up the merchandise, and the buyer pays for the merchandise with a check written for more than the price of the merchandise; and after loading and driving away with the customer’s property, the moving company later calls to inform the customer they must pay more if they want to see their belongings again, basically holding the property hostage. Often, even after paying the additional costs, deliveries were late and many of the customers’ items were damaged or missing. Those who refused to pay the additional cost were told they would not receive a refund or their belongings.
Beware of moving companies that:
  • Providing an estimate without seeing the home and belongings
  • Don’t notify you of your rights and responsibilities
  • Require a large deposit or payment in cash
  • Have no local address or licensing information
Help for Victims:

• Federal Trade Commission - (877) FTC-HELP or www.ftc.gov
  • Better Business Bureau www.bbb.org
  • Your State Attorney General
SOURCES:
If you have been scammed or think that you have found one, then please list the information below this post by replying below. That way we can ll keep an eye for these moving scams.

startingout

LoanSafe Member
May 22, 2012
Are Arizona Discount Movers a bad company? I just hired them to do mine...

You have a picture of them up there. I checked the BBB and Angie's list and they seem to have received good reviews....

Quimby

LoanSafe Member
Jun 6, 2012
My husband and I just moved from FL to CA. We hired a company to ship our cars out. This particular company was going to load them on a truck.

Late May they quoted us a specific $ amount and gave us a timeframe of when they should be able to find a truck to get them to CA for that price.

6/5/11 am They called and said availability is slim. The lowest price they can find is $200 more than what we were originally quoted unless we want to give them another 2 weeks to search for the originally quoted price. Luckily, we are currently using one of my retired parents' cars so we told them we'd wait the extra 2 weeks.

2 hours later They called and said, 'guess what, we found a truck that will ship them for the original price! your cars are getting picked up today and will be delivered sometime between June 8 - 11.'

Obviously I have no proof that they were scamming us, but seems like too much of a coincidence for me. We were fortunate not to absolutely need the cars right now as we have a substitute but others are not so lucky and would most likely pay the extra $200.

Evan Bedard

Call 1-800-779-4547
Loan Safe Mortgage
Aug 26, 2007
San Diego, California
www.LoanSafe.org
Obviously I have no proof that they were scamming us, but seems like too much of a coincidence for me. We were fortunate not to absolutely need the cars right now as we have a substitute but others are not so lucky and would most likely pay the extra $200.
Sounds like they tried to pull a fast one on you.. It is funny how they supposedly found another truck within just two hours of the phone call.. I'm glad you already had a car you could temporarily use and not have to spend the extra $200!