How To Remove A Spouse From A Mortgage Due To Divorce?

turboe

LoanSafe Member
Jul 5, 2017
I'm currently going through a divorce and was curious about what the best way to get my ex spouse off the mortgage would be? I have removed him via a quitclaim deed but he is still on the mortgage. I called the mortgage company and they really weren't much help at all.

Erik Sandstrom

Mortgage Expert - Call 1-619-379-8999
Staff member
Loan Safe Mortgage
Jan 14, 2011
San Diego, California
www.loansreduced.com
Hi Turboe,
Divorce is one of the toughest things to go through and seeking out options for retaining a home after divorce can be difficult. Below are some of the common questions asked by these borrowers, if I haven’t addressed some of your concerns please feel free to let me know.

Common Questions:

Can I remove my ex’s name from the mortgage?
The only way to remove a borrower from a loan is to prove that the remaining borrower qualifies via a refinance in most cases. If the remaining borrower does not qualify for one of the many programs available it’s going to make it extremely difficult if not impossible to remove a borrower from a loan.

My ex is trying to buy another property but his name is on the loan of the current home, how will he qualify? Unfortunately in this situation the mortgage liability on the home he is obligated on will be taken into consideration for debt-to-income ratio purposes. This will ultimately limit their ability to qualify for a new home as in many cases once you add a mortgage liability it throws the debt-to-income ratio higher than allowed.

What if my ex is not on title, but is on the loan? This still doesn’t matter, if both borrowers’ names are on the loan they are both obligated to repay the debt. The ownership interest on title does not exclude the liability from the overall DTI.

Usually what happens is through the divorce proceedings, one of the parties will be awarded the house with conditions of removing the spouse from the loan within a certain time period. You want to ensure that you meet this time period and refinance sooner than later or you could be forced to sell the home by the court.

Christopher Haner

LoanSafe Member
Sep 6, 2017
I'm currently going through a divorce and was curious about what the best way to get my ex spouse off the mortgage would be? I have removed him via a quitclaim deed but he is still on the mortgage. I called the mortgage company and they really weren't much help at all.
Once you have the quitclaim form filled out, you will need to have your spouse come in to the lender who is handling your refinance and sign the quitclaim with you in front of the loan officer, who will notarize the document, taking your spouse's name off of the property deed as well as mortgage.

Reactions: Erik Sandstrom