How to Handle Unwelcome Callers

TomEason

LoanSafe Guide
Jun 18, 2009
SF Bay Area CA
Will keep you posted on the out come. I am getting a homestead as soon as we are back on title so they can't put a lien on the house.

~Estela
Estela

Thanks for that update.Your choice to record a Homestead Declaration is a savvy move in our state. I recommend you effect the recording of that document as soon as possible subsequent to Chase's Grand Deed to you.

Kimberly

LoanSafe Member
Dec 12, 2011
We have an VOIP system, so we only allow current numbers though. Most go to voice mail with out us even knowing. So the phone will not ring unless its from a person we want to hear from. Plus its a P.R. thing for us, when we have family or friends over. As for my cell I have a "silent" ring where I will add credit phone numbers to it. So I don't have to listen to even the phone ringing. That way I can listen to the voice mail later.

Can wait to this is over, have 3 settle and more to go. Hopefully by mid this year we will have all the cards settle, then just have to work on the second mortgage. :bigsmile:

1531hope

LoanSafe Member
Feb 3, 2010
How to deal with bank contacting my family members

Please Help!!

I haven't paid HELOC in almost 6 months. Yesterday, my brother received a call from them looking for me. He has no idea what my strategy is and I don't want my family to know. How do I get the banks to stop calling my family? Should I send a cease and desist letter. I'm reading conflicting things on this forum. The suggestion is that I make no contact so by sending a letter is that reaching out to the bank??

TomEason

LoanSafe Guide
Jun 18, 2009
SF Bay Area CA
Please Help!!

I haven't paid HELOC in almost 6 months. Yesterday, my brother received a call from them looking for me. He has no idea what my strategy is and I don't want my family to know. How do I get the banks to stop calling my family? Should I send a cease and desist letter. I'm reading conflicting things on this forum. The suggestion is that I make no contact so by sending a letter is that reaching out to the bank??
1531hope

Thanks for your post. I recommend you send your lender a C&D letter, citing the appropriate section of the FDCPA which requires them to cease contacting certain parties upon your demand.

Posers

LoanSafe Member
Jul 23, 2011
I just posted my question about should I ignore excessive calls from our 1st and 2nd in two other threads and just found my answer here :)
I absolutely ignore all calls, haven't spoken even with one person, my husband answered couple times but said he is busy and can't talk.
That's what we are doing and I am relieved that it is the right strategy
TomEason, your threads are my bible now :)
thank you!

TomEason

LoanSafe Guide
Jun 18, 2009
SF Bay Area CA
I just posted my question about should I ignore excessive calls from our 1st and 2nd in two other threads and just found my answer here :)
I absolutely ignore all calls, haven't spoken even with one person, my husband answered couple times but said he is busy and can't talk.
That's what we are doing and I am relieved that it is the right strategy
TomEason, your threads are my bible now :)
thank you!
Hi Posers

Thanks for your gracious remark. It's good to hear you're getting value from the forum. You're to be commended for your "unresponsiveness" :)

Griffy

LoanSafe Member
Jan 23, 2012
TX
A fax/letter asking for all communication in writing off the bat can do wonders as well.
Hi Tom,

Just joined this site today and found your informative posts ... The second mortgage settlement strategy was particularly helpful. Please refer to my biography or first post for my situation. I was told by a realtor friend that it may be in my best interest to modify both my loans before I go bankrupt ... If I do it, I would file around May. My income situation (self employeed, made no money last year) is good for BK 7, but not for modification).

I did call both the first and second last week to start the modification process ... Was that a mistake? I have enough cash to last a few months not paying on credit cards or mortgages. Income is starting to pick up but still not enough. If I can get out from under the second, would like to keep the house. But at this point reaffirming, would be stupid. Any help on strategy would be greatly appreciated while I still have options.

GreenerPastures

LoanSafe Member
Feb 13, 2012
North Seattle, WA
We have an VOIP system, so we only allow current numbers though. Most go to voice mail with out us even knowing. So the phone will not ring unless its from a person we want to hear from. Plus its a P.R. thing for us, when we have family or friends over. As for my cell I have a "silent" ring where I will add credit phone numbers to it. So I don't have to listen to even the phone ringing. That way I can listen to the voice mail later.

Can wait to this is over, have 3 settle and more to go. Hopefully by mid this year we will have all the cards settle, then just have to work on the second mortgage. :bigsmile:
This is a great idea, it prompted me to take it one step further and simply get a "silent" ******** for my phone and apply it to the numbers that the bank is calling from. I'm assuming that there will be a few of them (I haven't started my walk yet, March 1st is our big day), but on most smartphones you can add whatever ******** you want for each number. I'll probably just add it to any unknown number that calls and leaves a message from the bank, or one that doesn't leave a message. It may be a little work in the beginning, but it will avoid contact with the bank, not tip them off to GoogleVoice, and allow all those message to go straight to voicemail.

My iPhone didn't have a standard silent ********, but I found a easy download online for any iPhone users at this site. iPhone tip: Use a Silent Ringtone to Screen Calls in Your Sleep | Richard K Miller I'm sure there are others for other phones out there too. Good luck to all in avoiding those banks!!

MtSIAlumni

LoanSafe Member
Feb 7, 2012
I did not need to do this because my bank called twice before vanishing and never responded to any of my query's anyway.

My friend on the other hand used this method and with a few tweaks to his phone habit the stopped after about 30 days.

I helped him get a google voice account (it's free) then changed his contact info for the bank to that number and left a robo-message that his google voice number xxx.xxx.xxxx was no longer in service. You can find voice simulators on the net where you can type that in, and then record it and play it back for your google answer message.

This will keep them from using your primary, though they continued to call his secondary until he picked it up and told them that as far as he knew the person they wanted was at xxx.xxx.xxxx they never called his primary after that.

As an addendum he changed his voice mail to just give out just the number via automated voice which kept them calling the google number.

mama392

LoanSafe Member
Dec 18, 2008
I received kind of a strange phone call today on my cellphone. The last few days I've had an "unknown" number show up on my phone. I've ignored the calls and let them go to voice mail, but they never leave a message. So this morning the same "unknown" showed up on the phones caller Id so I thought I'd answer it and find out who it is. They asked is this ****** I said yes. They said "ok Thank you" and hung up! What's up with that!

TomEason

LoanSafe Guide
Jun 18, 2009
SF Bay Area CA
mama392

Thanks for your post. Although I know it's a hard habit to change, I recommend you never ID yourself or answer any questions until the caller has IDed him/herself and company. Then, if it's not someone to whom you wish to speak, either simply hangup, or tell them they've misdialed, then hangup.

mama392

LoanSafe Member
Dec 18, 2008
mama392

Thanks for your post. Although I know it's a hard habit to change, I recommend you never ID yourself or answer any questions until the caller has IDed him/herself and company. Then, if it's not someone to whom you wish to speak, either simply hangup, or tell them they've misdialed, then hangup.
Thanks Tom! I thought of that after the fact. I need to learn to think on my feet better! lol

TomEason

LoanSafe Guide
Jun 18, 2009
SF Bay Area CA
mama392

This is a common and natural proclivity. I sometimes have to catch myself from an unnecessary disclosure of my ID. The habit was borne of the earlier, more innocent and trusting era in which we were raised.

TomEason

LoanSafe Guide
Jun 18, 2009
SF Bay Area CA
This good news was published on Wed 2/15/2012.

The Federal Communications Commission clamped down on telemarketers Wednesday – even those you do business with, such as your bank – by placing severe limits on robo-calling and even texting.

FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski said Congress and his agency have long recognized the need for consumers to have control over the telemarketing calls that come into their homes, and the FCC has long had rules to put consumers in control.

"But despite these clear ground rules, too many telemarketers, aided by autodialers and prerecorded messages, have continued to call consumers who don’t want to hear from them," Genachowski said.

In a 3-0 vote, the commissioners adopted changes to its telemarketing rules that:

-- Require telemarketers to obtain prior written consent before placing robo-calls to consumers,

-- Eliminate the exemption for companies that have an "established business relationship" with consumers,

-- Require telemarketers to provide an automated, interactive opt-out mechanism during each robocall so consumers can immediately tell the telemarketer to stop calling and

-- Strictly limit the number of so-called dead-air calls in which consumers answer phones and hear nothing.

Commissioner Robert M. McDowell bemoaned the seemingly constant telemarketing calls. "Sometimes, it seems like there’s no escape," he said.

McDowell noted that the rules, which also are more consistent with Federal Trade Commission regulations, were narrowly limited to telemarketing robo-calls. He said the changes do not affect current requirements about informational calls or calls involving charities or political speech.

frankie

LoanSafe Member
Dec 17, 2011
I am new to this and trying currently for a loan modification. However, I have excess credit card bills and want to quit paying on them. I wanted to know when you setlle with them are you suppose to pay them all the money at once or in the settlement you agree to pay over time? Do you quit paying all of them at once or work one by one? Who are the easiest to settle with the smaller cc or the larger. I have cc with the follwing: Amex, Cap 1, Chase, Wells, Discover several of the same company.

Kimberly

LoanSafe Member
Dec 12, 2011
I am new to this and trying currently for a loan modification. However, I have excess credit card bills and want to quit paying on them. I wanted to know when you setlle with them are you suppose to pay them all the money at once or in the settlement you agree to pay over time? Do you quit paying all of them at once or work one by one? Who are the easiest to settle with the smaller cc or the larger. I have cc with the follwing: Amex, Cap 1, Chase, Wells, Discover several of the same company.
We have been doing this, although not in the lasted 6 months due to trying to save our house too. We stop paying our cc bills probably last Aug. We have settle 3 so far. We hired a good company to help us with this. As at the time I didn't know about this forum and plus didn't want to deal with these people. I figure having a person that wasn't emotionally tide to this was better. Plus the lady that works with us to make deals is better then I could do it.

Anyways, what we did was stopped paying all our cc bills. Then just kept track of who called and routed this information to her. When we had a cc company that would make use a deal then she would go in and try to get them lower. One CC settle for 10% then the others where between 30-40%. You can either pay them all at one time or pay over 3 months payments. The way I think it works in order for them to make any real deals they don't want to wait more then 3 months to get paid. As for who is easier to settle it doesn't matter which is the larger account. Some of the larger accounts we have settle where the easier then some of the smaller accounts. One of my accounts which is the smallest seems to be the hardiest to settle. We haven't settle any more cards in a while, but looking to start doing that again. We have finally gotten our mod on our house done. So happy with that. Hope that helps.

TomEason

LoanSafe Guide
Jun 18, 2009
SF Bay Area CA
Announcement

As of last week I realized that all incoming calls from creditors has ceased.

That's right. Evidently, as a result of their failure to ever make contact, my name has been dropped from the lists of creditors'/collection agents' auto-dialers, predictive dialers, robo calling computers, etc.

This is evidence that the unresponsiveness strategy works!

Reactions: Martae007