Home, Sweet Home

Moe Bedard

Call 1-800-779-4547
Staff member
Loan Safe Mortgage
By Moe

The opening lines of Home, Sweet Home

"Mid pleasures and palaces though we may roam, Be it ever so humble, there’s no place like home;

There was a day not long ago when owing a home meant owning the proverbial “American Dream”. A place where you could call home and come home on a Sunday afternoon, smell mom’s apple pie permeating throughout the house as us kids played out side all day until the street lights came on.

I remember those days when I grew up in Anaheim, California and in 1977 when my parents purchased a typical single level suburban home right down the street from my elementary school.

It was a dream come true for my Canadian born parents who had worked hard all their lives to become Americans and own a slice of the American Dream. It was also nirvana for us children as we were free to roam our new huge backyard looking for bugs and playing kick ball well into the evening.

I was the last of 4 children and I lived there until I was old enough to move out on my own and leave the nest for my parents to tend to.
My parents didn’t purchase their home for investment purposes. They didn’t refinance the home repeatedly to buy bigger and better cars or toys. They did it to have a better life and to raise their family in safe and secure place that we all could call “home”.

A dream come true for two Canadians who were desparately trying to do the right thing for their family.

I’ll always remember that home that they bought for $77,000 in 1977. When they eventually sold it in 1999 for $390,000, they though they had hit the jack pot.

We would often drive by that old house and see what the new homeowners were up to. To our surprise, less than 2 years later, that same home was sold for $475,000. We were all flabbergasted and my father was pretty upset that he could have held on for a couple more years and had an extra $100,000 towards his already lean retirement income.

I remember speaking with him about it as we had a beer on his porch that night. I said, “Dad, you did what was best for you and mom at the time. The yard was too big, the house was too large for you two. You sold it to have a better life for you and mom, not to make money.”

My father then said, “You know son, you’re right as he cracked open a Bud Light and a unlit cigarette dangles from his lips. We raised you kids there and it we sure had our ups and downs, but it was home. I didn’t buy that damn house to make money. I bought it so you all had a home that you could call your own. A place where I could rest my ass after a long days work, crack open a beer like we are having now and turn up my country music as loud as I want.”

He said this as Tony Orlando came on the radio as he turned up the dial on the radio and started singing “Tie a yellow and old ribbon around the old oak tree.”
Oh tie a yellow ribbon
‘Round the old oak tree
It’s been three long years
Do you still want me
If I don’t see a yellow ribbon
‘Round the old oak tree
I’ll stay on the bus, forget about us
Put the blame on me
If I don’t see a yellow ribbon
‘Round the old oak tree
Just then that song took me back in my mind to a time when I was a child and my dad used to work in the yard without his shirt, drinking beer and listening to Tony Orlando. I smiled, as I cracked open my beer and offered a cheers to my dad. He acknowledged my offering as our aluminum cans met each other in a sign of, “It’s all good.”

You see, there are millions of Americans that own a home for their own reasons and most of those reasons are not for monetary purposes. My dad just wanted a place where he could raise us kids, crack open a beer and listen to his country music as loud as we wanted. That’s all.

I have such fond memories of that house and when they sold it, to be honest, mom and dad’s new house never felt like “home”. My sisters and I agree on this as does my Father. He tells me often that he wishes he never sold that home in Anaheim. Quite often I feel the same. It wasn’t the house that made it a home, it was the sweet memories that we all cherish to this day.

And no, it’s not because that home was flipped 3 more times and later sold for over $700,000, HELL NO!

Our family wishes he never sold that home because it was home, sweet home.

I picked up an old Times article back from 1933 titled, “Home, Sweet Home” that gave me the idea for this post. The article was written back when President Hoover was battling over housing issues that were affecting our country and its people.

It really touched me that a President of this great country would take something that means so much to the American people and really take it to his heart to do something about it.
“For weeks President Hoover has been carrying around a little 5¢ pad of paper in his pocket, jotting down random message ideas with a stubby pencil.”

These words from President Hoover were from his heart. He labored intensely and whole heatedly over this issue for 2 solid months as he delivered this speech to the assembled delegates of the President’s Conference on Home Building & Home Ownership.
Over these warm words and some 1,900 others like them President Hoover had worked with a full heart for two months. One evening last week he took them all, in the form of a keynote address, to Constitution Hall and there, in a voice brimming with emotion…….​
“Next to food and clothing, the housing of a nation is its most vital problem. . . . The sentiment for home ownership is embedded in the American heart [of] millions of people who dwell in tenements, apartments and rented rows of solid brick. . . .
This aspiration penetrates the heart of our national well-being. It makes for happier married life. It makes for better children. It makes for courage to meet the battle of life. . . . There is a wide distinction between homes and mere housing. Those immortal ballads, ‘Home, Sweet Home,’ ‘My Old Kentucky Home’ and ‘The Little Grey Home in the West’ were not written about tenements or apartments. . . .
They were written about an individual abode, alive with tender associations of childhood, the family life at the fireside, the free out-of-doors, the independence, the security and the pride in possession of the family’s own home. . . . Many of our people must live under other conditions. But they never sing songs about a pile of rent receipts. . . .”
As the Times article stated, “At this great gathering President Hoover again demonstrated his ability and leadership in an unofficial activity outside the constitutional realm of the Presidency.”

Maybe President Bush can take some cues from President Hoover and really reflect on what many Americans are going through right now.

For Your information Mr. Bush, our homes are certainly not as sweet as they once were and the “American Dream” as now turned into an “American Nightmare” for many homeowners and it has all been under you watch sir.

So, I urge you to dig deep and do what is right. Not just for the economy, but for the American people.

T

tomnikids3

Moe:

What do you think about this LLC. It just makes me wonder is this just another way someone thought of to cash in others bad situations. I dont know what to think of this.

Tomnikids3 you can't post links to websites that offer a service or product for a fee........

colahhh08

LoanSafe Member
Great post Moe. Actually brought a tear to my eye. Those are the exact reasons my wife and I went from an apartment to a townhouse to our HOME!! If my 3 1/2yo son wants to run around and yell and kick a ball he can, shoot, I encourage him to run and yell as much as possible, enjoy your childhood son cuz the way this world is goin we have so many fears about what it will be like when he is on his own.

Again, great post.

PS-Every US paper should pick that up and rerun it, front page!!

Moe Bedard

Call 1-800-779-4547
Staff member
Loan Safe Mortgage
Well, you just brought a tear to my eye and everything you said is all so true. Thanks for taking the time to comment on my story. I appreciate that!

colahhh08

LoanSafe Member
No problem Moe. Although I dont post much I have probably spent easily hours every day reading everyone's troubles and successes. I am so glad I found this site and only hope the best for everyone who has come here for help, advice, etc. and also for the those who have been so helpful to others, thank you!

mreedlaw

LoanSafe Member
Okay first things first...thanks for taking the time to post your "Home Sweet Home," Moe - it was greatly appreciated, especially for a former history major like me - AND I went to Branson, Missouri twice and Tony Orlando came out into the audience and did the twist with my Mom and gave me five - it was a great show at the Yellow Ribbon Music Theater, back in 1995 or 1996 I believe.

Homes are our most important material investments - but you're absolutely right - it's what goes on inside the homes that produce the greatest rewards - namely ... MEMORIES - sharing them, creating them, etc.

All of my best wishes to all of you, in the good times and the bad times, (and ugly times) - and at the risk of being labeled too existential, I conclude with this age old saying - "Home is where the heart is."

farawayangel

LoanSafe Member
I like this story reminds me of what I just wanted to do with my own kids. How we all long for the good old days. Where your neighbor was your friend and not trying to compete with you.
When all of this mess is over with we all need to step back and take a good look around and start helping people, your neighbor, your family even people who just need someone to talk to.
We can't move to another planet we are all stuck here together.
Thank you for this site. Maybe I will save my home and maybe I can't.
But the lesson I have learned is there are still people out there who want to help:)

Farawayangel

N

neck2navel

I like the story too. I can't speak for everyone, I purchased the home I'm in so that I could "do the right thing" and find a suitable place for me to care for my elderly mother who lived out of state. Some people are driven by what they "want" - deep within every fiber of my metabolism I'm driven by doing what's "right". It's about morals. It's about ethics. I wanted to provide a secure place for my mother to live the rest of her day - where I could care for her and for her to receive medical care in a community which I had my finger on the pulse.

I have the occasional pity-party - full of self-loathing, not because my own financial security and housing has been threatened, but because I have threatened her security - the roof over her head. She doesn't deserve it one bit.

HappyHome

LoanSafe Member

OMG I have tears in my eyes after reading yr very touching story..as It reminded me of My Dad in the back-yard and One of Mom's Fav. songs (Yellow Ribbon..) Yes I remember those days/they were
unforgettable magic memories~ it was a nice read..thanks for the step back into time I needed that today Moe..! Tracyann

Moe Bedard

Call 1-800-779-4547
Staff member
Loan Safe Mortgage
Awe thanks Tracyann. I write with my heart and those were the good ole days. ;)

M

Marlene Weeks

What a great story Moe. I too can relate to everything you have said. My parents purchased the home I grew up in, in 1971. There are many fond memories that still come to mind as I walk those halls when I return home for frequent visits. My parents still live in that same home and are now elderly. I am very thankful that I come from a time when people could still purchase and “own†their home. I also agree that a home is not just 4 walls and a roof. Its memories of time shared, experiences and comfort, something you cannot put a price on.

It still is the American dream to own a home. I believe we need to work really hard to turn this industry around and help others realize their dream as well. Let’s find a way for people to keep their houses and look back on their own memories.

purenergy

LoanSafe Member
Another tear, here . . .thanks for the post. My husband's parents purchased this home around 1950; my husband and his siblings grew up here. Then we bought it from his dad after his mom died -- at a great price. But like so many, we made many mistakes -- in the name of other "investments." We should have NEVER put our own home at risk and I am truly sorry we did so. But we can't go backwards. When we sat down last week to talk to our son about the possibility of having to move, my husband did point out to him that our "home" was right here (pointing to the three of us) -- our togetherness as a family. At this point, that is the home we have to hang on to in order to get through this mess.

christy6035

LoanSafe Member
You're a great writer Moe! Tears here too...this country sucks so bad! It's horrible to think about how my children are growing up with memories right now of how their home was trying to be taken away wrongfully...To see mommy crying about it. We did nothing wrong, just victims of the greedy banks and our own government who caused this bs. It's sad that my children are going to have this nightmare as part of their own "Home Sweet Home" memories. :(

S

syed2011

extremely heart touching story, my parents went through many financial problem during my childhood, at that time school books, uniform and food were like gold to buy . Now i am working hard to give happiness to my parents.

Mommystar

LoanSafe Member
Moe , I just wanted to say THANK YOU !!!! THANK YOU !!! I grew in up in the same home until I got married and moved out ... my parents no longer have the home as they lost it to foreclosure and I drive by sometimes just to see it and remember the good times of childhood I had there..

I would love to stay in my current home for my children to continue growing up and always be able to come back to .... so yes I agree 100% that it's not about the money ... it's about the memories created that make a home and I thank you sooooo much for this site ... You are such a wonderful person !! This world needs more like you !!

Jenn

Aloha Moe,

I just want to say how touching your story is. This is exactly what I am trying to strive for, for my children. Here in Hawaii, we say, "Keiki" (kay-kee), that means child or children. I am proud to say that my husband and I are going to recieve our keys to our home this wednesday August 17th, 2011!!! We have 3 beautiful Keiki's and 1 on his way due in December. Thank you (mahalo) for sharing Moe!!! Maika'i (Good work)!

Chelsie~

Nufsayd

LoanSafe Member
Very touching story as I come from that same generation and I used to actually sing that song as a child :). Another tear has dropped here as well.

nacho1mom

LoanSafe Member
Funny how so many of us grew up with the same story and wanted to recreate that for our children, my grandchildren. Not a flip, not an investment...my home. I thought I'd grow old(er) here. The way things are going, it's just a Pipe-Dream.

salmon

LoanSafe Member
I am not sure how I found this website or forum....but the story really touched me.
Years ago, in the early 80's, my home state of Alaska went through what so many in the lower 48 are going through now. House prices were exploding and we were afraid if we didn't get something we would never have a place for our kids. We bought a new house, within the year the bubble burst and our house was worth 1/2 of what we paid. Most around us just walked but we decided to try to hang on. My husband lost his job and never really recovered emotionally...never supported our family again. We had three kids and I was determined to give them a home. I worked part-time in an advertising firm and bought and sold furniture at garage sales. My specialty was bunk beds. I never made more than $1200 a month from my job and our house payment was $1100. I remember at Christmas going to garage sales to see if I could find anything just to have something wrapped under the tree for the kids....not the way I was raised. It was 15 years before the market turned around. My children's childhood was one of poverty in the midst of a nice, middle class neighborhood. In those days I didn't know about food stamps...we just got by on next to nothing. Our house payment was one to two months late for about 10 years...not long enough to go into foreclosure. A couple times we were 6 months behind and it looked like foreclosure was inevitable, but somehow, miraculously we pulled it out. The long and short is...after 15 years and a divorce we were able to sell the house. I don't even want to talk about the profit the buyers made on it as the house market went back up the two years they were in it... they made more than we did when they flipped it!
I determined then and there that this would never happen to me again. Single, in my 40's, my kids grown, I was tired of all the struggle. My credit still lacking although I repaid every debt. I have remarried...my husband has a small home he built in his community. However, we needed to move to another town for work. This time has been so different. My values have changed. We found a piece of property that was owner financed. 5 acres....40,000...4,000 down...430.00 a month for 10 years. No electricity. We negotiated our first payment to start in 4 months. And then we just started working. I know this is not an option for everyone...but maybe someone will read my story and realize that there is hope out there and there are opportunities. My husband began chopping trees down to make a driveway...it was summer and we pitched a tent and said we will build as we have money....no banks. So in a year and a half we have just tackled it one day, week and month at a time. We have only had between $500 to $1000 a month to build with. That comes to about $15,000 we have spent out of pocket to bring in electricity, and build a 12 x 16 frame cottage with a sleeping loft. Our windows and doors came from salvage, much work was through trades. We just added a 16 x 16 addition. Sometimes people laugh at us, but they never went through 15 years of trying desperately to save a house from foreclosure. So I never was embarrassed, just grateful for my little cottage...now with a garden and deck. It is a home...small, but a place where there is peace and joy...and no bank mortgage. We owe about $30,000 on our land and will start paying that off early when this house is finished. I think we should come in around $100,000 on an appraisal. We are working on the drywall for the addition and should be finished within a couple months. Our little McMansion!
Well...I have never told this story before...just needed to get it off my chest. I have been there with an upside down mortgage and life...somehow with God's help I came through it. Now, I have a home, sweet, home...nothing fancy or glitzy, not something to "flip" as an investment...but a place that my husband and I have put our sweat and hard work into. Just a simple little home.