Foreclosure - What did you do about your swimming pool?

puppyted

LoanSafe Member
Mar 31, 2011
Will be moving out of our home (foreclosure) in September. We will be taking turns (my husband, myself, and our son) staying at the home a few nights a week so it appears "lived in". We are very lucky to have two really great neighbors across the street that will let us know if there are any problems when we aren't there.

Question for Swimming Pool Owners -

What did you do with your swimming pool? I know you are suppose to empty it before you leave the property. When did you empty yours? Will standing "dry" damage the pool, and if so, can the lender come after you in any way for the damages? We may not have anyone around this summer who will want to use the pool, so am considering empting it sooner than later, to save on the monthly pool service, water, and electrical bill.

The lender should love it when they send someone out here. They will have to re-key 8 doors, plus put locks on 5 gates into this yard. Tsk Tsk for them.

Francie

LoanSafe Member
Mar 13, 2011
Somewhere, Florida
You didn't say whetehr it was in-ground or not. If in-ground DO NOT empty it or it will rise from ground pressure and crack the surround. Just keep the chemical balance maintained. If above ground, forget it as it can be trashed if something happens to it.

puppyted

LoanSafe Member
Mar 31, 2011
Thanks, Francie, for the reply.

It is an inground pool, and I remember reading about that problem somewhere. We really were hoping to be able to cancell our pool service, an added expense each month. And we don't feel comfortable with leaving the pool filled with water, when we won't be around all the time. I guess we will have to give the pool service a key to one of the gates to the property, and trust that he will lock up each week, once we leave. We will be back once a week to make it seem lived in. We don't have a separate fence around the pool area, it wasn't required because we have a 6ft. fence around the whole yard. We have 5 gates around the property, so if any of them were left open, anyone would have access to the pool. (Not to say that people couldn't just climb over the fence if they want).

If we leave it filled, and keep up the pool service, we can stop once the lender has the sale. Of course if the lender decides to drag the foreclosure out, we may reach a point that we can't keep leaving the electricity, water, and pool service going. I hate to think that we would keep it up at our expense (on a house we are losing), then when the bank takes it, they will let it sit and turn into some stinking green lagoon.

DesertMe

LoanSafe Member
Oct 27, 2009
Hysteria (High Desert), CA
In my former foreclosed home, I had an in ground pool. When I left I drained it completely, and disconnected any water source. The theory is if your bank does NOT transfer the deed promptly after foreclosure and it is filled with water you therefore have what's considered an "attractive nuisance" in legalese. If someone trespasses ( and they will) and falls in and drowns, you theoretically could be sued and in some cases prosecuted. The fallacy that a gunite pool will "pop out of the ground " is in most cases not true, even in freezing areas. Cracked tiles ? Sure. But if your house is going back to the bank anyway, why would you care ? A risk from an accidental drowning in an unattended pool is a lot greater than worrying about any future damage. In college I worked for a major pool builder and in a steel reinforced pool the odds of it moving due to frost heave is minimal. My attorney advised me to drain it dry and that's exactly what I did and double locked the pool fence.

dianne

Nov 5, 2010
I know someone that has their pool "pop" out of the ground. There was nothing they could do to fix it, and they hadn't had it for very long.

vondes

LoanSafe Member
May 28, 2017
Due to the optimization of business processes, the company's activities become transparent. There is an opportunity to improve work, to improve the procedure for standardization and remuneration of staff, etc. You can make a reasonable choice of processes that need to be automated. Only those which significantly affect the profit and financial results of the company require automation https://www.managemart.com/pool-care.