Ex father in law wont sign quit claim deed

A

Amartin2715

My now ex father in law co signed on a house we (his son and I) bought in 2008. In my divorce was asked that I keep the property since I am raising our children and he had to sign the quit claim deed, which he did. Now, i am trying to sell my house because I can no longer afford it but my ex father in law is refusing to sign the quit claim deed. I have a potential buyer who has alreasy been pre approved for a loan. Since my ex father in law is refusing to sign the quit claim deed, what can I do about selling my house?

Erik Sandstrom

Mortgage Expert - Call 1-619-379-8999
Staff member
Loan Safe Mortgage
Jan 14, 2011
San Diego, California
www.loansreduced.com
This is a great question that I think would be best to ask Title about, I'm going to reach out to my title company to see what they would have to say about a situation like this and if there is a way to get around it. There may not be a way without him signing the quit claim. I'll touch base shortly on this.

Erik Sandstrom

Mortgage Expert - Call 1-619-379-8999
Staff member
Loan Safe Mortgage
Jan 14, 2011
San Diego, California
www.loansreduced.com
Title just said that you unfortunately have to get him to sign the quitclaim. The words out of her mouth were, right now you're kind of up shit creek (my title rep said that not me, but one reason I love her is she's VERY good at what she does and she doesn't give any fluff). What you may have to do is make him sign a deed with a demand. If you do this he is entitled to proceeds which is what he may be looking for. If he's on title, he is entitled to the proceeds, the only way to change that is going to be to have that quitclaim signed.

Unfortunately it sounds like a toxic situation and they're doing this to spite you. I would hope that's not the case but of course I don't know.

Last edited: