Escalating your Making Home Affordable Program request to the Office of the President

ama125

LoanSafe Member
Jun 18, 2009
Reading, PA
Have you tried the traditional route in attempting to get a modification or refinance through the 800 # and gotten the runaround?

If you've answered "yes", then please read on.

One approach you can take that will escalate your file is contacting the Office of the President (OOP) directly.

1. Send an email to [email protected]
Be concise and to the point regarding your request. Be sure to include your name, loan number(s), and a phone number where you can be reached.

2. Wait for the call from a customer advocate. You can expect to hear back from a customer advocate with the office of the chairman within 24 - 48 hours of sending your email. If you don't get a response, then send another email. When you do get the call, it will likely come up on your caller ID as "out of area", "no name", or "unavailable". If you cannot be reached, the customer advocate will leave you a message with his/her name and direct line.

3. You will be asked to fax over your information (even if you have sent in a million faxes already to another number). While you are waiting for a call from a customer advocate, start gathering your information. You will be asked to send in a hardship affidavit and possibly the IRS Form 4506-T (available here: https://www.hmpadmin.com/portal/programs/hamp_borrower.html). You will also be asked for 2 most recent pay stubs (or other income documentation), last 2 months of bank statements, and a list of monthly expenses. One forum member (Garry), has recommended going to a local Bank of America Home Loans branch and have them fax over your request. They likely will assist you and you won't have to pay for it. I also recommend following up with your customer advocate to confirm your fax has been received.

4. Wait for the next call assigning you a negotiator. You can then expect another phone call from your customer advocate. He/she will assign your file to a negotiator and will be calling you with the name of your negotiator and contact information for that person.

5. Wait for the assigned negotiator to call. You will be instructed to wait for the negotiator to call you (he/she will need time to go over your file before talking to you). Your customer advocate will give you a timeframe (could be within 24 hours, could be within 1 week).

Please note that some negotiators will be in direct contact with you over phone or email and others will tell you to communicate only with your customer advocate. Whatever they tell you to do is what you should do.

6. Check your account status online.
You can log on to Countrywide Home Loans- Equity, Refinance, and Purchase to check this.

Once you log in, you will see in the upper left corner of the screen, "Account Options" and under that, "My account summary". Click on "My home loans" to retrieve your account information. You will now find an expanded menu bar on the far left of your screen. Scroll down to "Financial hardship" and click on "Workout information". You will see two sections, "Documents Received" and "Current Workout Status".

Under the workout status, you should see detailed information that your file is under review and a date when more information will be available (and instructions not to call before that date). I believe the intention here is to avoid excessive phone calls and give them adequate time to process your request. You will also see "Information as of" fill in the date, "Workout stage", and "Phase/Sub-Phase".

You may not see anything under "Documents Received" yet. It does take some time as the information you faxed must be scanned and uploaded into the system. Do not panic...if you've gotten this far, the negotiator has your documents in hand!

Here is what the screen will look like:

<table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr class="header1back" align="left"><td class="header1text">Documents Received </td> </tr> <tr> <td> <table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr class="header2back"> <td class="mainbold" width="30%">Processing Date</td> <td class="mainbold" width="30%">Workout Type</td> <td class="mainbold" width="40%">Document Type</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="data" colspan="3">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="3" class="alert"> No Documents Found For This Account </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="3">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="main" colspan="3"> The above list is real-time and reflects the documents processed to date for this account. We may have received additional documents recently sent to us that have not been processed and therefore do not appear in the list. Please do not call us to check the status of a document not showing in the list as our representatives will not be able to provide any additional information than what is shown here. Thank you for your patience. </td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> <tr> <td>
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr class="header1back"> <td class="header1text"> Current Workout Status </td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table id="Table1" width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr class="header2back"> <td class="header3text" width="30%"> Loan Modification </td> <td width="20%"> View the Details </td> <td width="20%"> Hide the Details </td> <td width="30%"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="3">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table width="503" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2" height="512"><tbody><tr> <td class="mainbold" valign="top" width="30%" align="left"> Workout Status Details: </td> <td class="main" width="70%" align="left"> Your request for assistance is under review. During the review process, a thorough examination and analysis of your loan will be completed. During this time, we may or may not need additional information from you. It is common that you will not hear anything from us during the review period, but please be advised that all collections activities have been temporarily suspended during this review period. We expect more information to be available on 09/21/2009. If your status remains unchanged after the 09/21/2009, please call and speak to a customer service representative. Please do not call back before 09/21/2009 as that will delay the process. Please respond promptly to any calls or requests that you may receive from us during this period. Lack of response will cause your workout to be delayed or cancelled. Thank you. </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="mainbold" valign="top" width="30%" align="left"> Information as of: </td> <td class="main" width="70%" align="left"> 08/17/2009 </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="mainbold" valign="top" width="30%" align="left"> Workout Stage: </td> <td class="main" width="70%" align="left"> Processing </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="mainbold" valign="top" width="30%" align="left"> Phase/Sub-Phase: </td> <td class="main" width="70%" align="left"> Active Processing
</td></tr></tbody></table>

7. KEEP ON TOP OF THINGS! Continue to check your status for changes and don't hesitate to call if you do have questions. If you have general questions, post them on the forum. Someone may be able to assist you! The negotiators are obviously dealing with a large volume of requests. We don't want to bother them with general questions and impede anyone's progress on getting a modification by pestering them unnecessarily. Be sure to also post your story and update others on your progress. We can all benefit from other people's experiences!

Good luck to all! :D

Riley18

LoanSafe Member
Aug 4, 2009
Florida
Thank you for so much useful information. I tried to access the site, but there is no record for my mortgage. Do you have to have a Countrywide mortgage? Mine is with BofA and I tried on their site, but did not see anything there either.

ama125

LoanSafe Member
Jun 18, 2009
Reading, PA
Thank you for so much useful information. I tried to access the site, but there is no record for my mortgage. Do you have to have a Countrywide mortgage? Mine is with BofA and I tried on their site, but did not see anything there either.
I do have a Countrywide mortgage. I would email tech support to question why your account is not showing up online (there should be a link for that somewhere on the website).

priscilla

LoanSafe Member
Aug 7, 2009
Riley,
My loan was originally with BoA also. I cannot see any information about the modification status online. It appears that it is only customers with CW, now BoA that can see this information. I tried and tried and gave up on looking up the status. I just check it on the Naca website. I also call their number periodically to check. Ama, thanks for this detailed info.
Cheers,

Riley18

LoanSafe Member
Aug 4, 2009
Florida
Thanks for your help. I thought it was just Countrywide, but wasn't sure. When I called last week the phone rep told me that he could see that my loan was being considered for a modification. Of course, he probably says that to everyone who calls:rolleyes:

kura52

LoanSafe Member
May 17, 2009
Dearborn, Michigan
When I go on line to check the status of my loan mod request with BOA/Countrywide...I always type in countrywide.com, not bankofamerica.com. It is much easier to get to where i need to be that way. Try it, it should work for you too.

phoenix1979

LoanSafe Member
Jul 16, 2009
Hi,

I did exactly what this post recommended and the results were as described by Ama125. I just have some questions:

1. What do we do when we do talk to the negotiator?
2. An specific financials they are looking for?

My situation is I make 6,250 gross after a 1,300 reduction in income. My mortgage is 2,2951 (first , second, tax and ins).
Monthly expense is 1,242.

I am not sure how they calculate under the MHA.

Thanks

helpsavemyhome

LoanSafe Member
Dec 1, 2008
Going this route (Office of the President) only works if you are NOT being represented by NACA. I have tried this and have been told twice that OOP cannot assist homeowners who are using NACA.

ama125

LoanSafe Member
Jun 18, 2009
Reading, PA
Going this route (Office of the President) only works if you are NOT being represented by NACA. I have tried this and have been told twice that OOP cannot assist homeowners who are using NACA.
Thanks for posting that information. I have not tried NACA so I didn't even think to include that!

davejet

LoanSafe Member
Feb 12, 2009
Hi,

I did exactly what this post recommended and the results were as described by Ama125. I just have some questions:

1. What do we do when we do talk to the negotiator?
2. An specific financials they are looking for?

My situation is I make 6,250 gross after a 1,300 reduction in income. My mortgage is 2,2951 (first , second, tax and ins).
Monthly expense is 1,242.

I am not sure how they calculate under the MHA.

Thanks
Hey how did you get a $1300 reduction?
I pay $1200 in Child Support Can I get Bank OF America to reduce my Gross by that amount??

Debbiy

LoanSafe Member
Sep 1, 2009
THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU

This worked we were 9 days out from our sale date and even though I have a Countrywide loan they called me assigned a senior negotiator and we came up with an affordable modification in less then two weeks. This is after calling every 3-4 days for one year. Thank you so much for posting the information, this made our year.:)

ama125

LoanSafe Member
Jun 18, 2009
Reading, PA
THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU

This worked we were 9 days out from our sale date and even though I have a Countrywide loan they called me assigned a senior negotiator and we came up with an affordable modification in less then two weeks. This is after calling every 3-4 days for one year. Thank you so much for posting the information, this made our year.:)
I am glad to hear you were able to get assistance and so quickly. Just make sure to stay on top of things with them. Make sure that the sale is CANCELLED! Far too many times, the foreclosure department/attorneys for the servicer are never notified when a modification has been reached. Also make sure that your modification does get implemented and that you get a signed copy of it from them. There have been many reports, especially concerning the AG settlement mods, where people have sent in notarized mod agreements that were offered to them and they have sent in payments and STILL these mods have not actually gone into effect. So please follow up and make sure that they are holding up their end of the deal! Best wishes to you for a bright future that is free of the stress that this housing disaster can bring on!

N

nativelasvegan

Have you tried the traditional route in attempting to get a modification or refinance through the 800 # and gotten the runaround?

If you've answered "yes", then please read on.

One approach you can take that will escalate your file is contacting the Office of the President (OOP) directly.

1. Send an email to [email protected]
Be concise and to the point regarding your request. Be sure to include your name, loan number(s), and a phone number where you can be reached.

2. Wait for the call from a customer advocate. You can expect to hear back from a customer advocate with the office of the chairman within 24 - 48 hours of sending your email. If you don't get a response, then send another email. When you do get the call, it will likely come up on your caller ID as "out of area", "no name", or "unavailable". If you cannot be reached, the customer advocate will leave you a message with his/her name and direct line.

3. You will be asked to fax over your information (even if you have sent in a million faxes already to another number). While you are waiting for a call from a customer advocate, start gathering your information. You will be asked to send in a hardship affidavit and possibly the IRS Form 4506-T (available here: https://www.hmpadmin.com/portal/programs/hamp_borrower.html). You will also be asked for 2 most recent pay stubs (or other income documentation), last 2 months of bank statements, and a list of monthly expenses. One forum member (Garry), has recommended going to a local Bank of America Home Loans branch and have them fax over your request. They likely will assist you and you won't have to pay for it. I also recommend following up with your customer advocate to confirm your fax has been received.

4. Wait for the next call assigning you a negotiator. You can then expect another phone call from your customer advocate. He/she will assign your file to a negotiator and will be calling you with the name of your negotiator and contact information for that person.

5. Wait for the assigned negotiator to call. You will be instructed to wait for the negotiator to call you (he/she will need time to go over your file before talking to you). Your customer advocate will give you a timeframe (could be within 24 hours, could be within 1 week).

Please note that some negotiators will be in direct contact with you over phone or email and others will tell you to communicate only with your customer advocate. Whatever they tell you to do is what you should do.

6. Check your account status online.
You can log on to Countrywide Home Loans- Equity, Refinance, and Purchase to check this.

Once you log in, you will see in the upper left corner of the screen, "Account Options" and under that, "My account summary". Click on "My home loans" to retrieve your account information. You will now find an expanded menu bar on the far left of your screen. Scroll down to "Financial hardship" and click on "Workout information". You will see two sections, "Documents Received" and "Current Workout Status".

Under the workout status, you should see detailed information that your file is under review and a date when more information will be available (and instructions not to call before that date). I believe the intention here is to avoid excessive phone calls and give them adequate time to process your request. You will also see "Information as of" fill in the date, "Workout stage", and "Phase/Sub-Phase".

You may not see anything under "Documents Received" yet. It does take some time as the information you faxed must be scanned and uploaded into the system. Do not panic...if you've gotten this far, the negotiator has your documents in hand!

Here is what the screen will look like:

<table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr class="header1back" align="left"><td class="header1text">Documents Received </td> </tr> <tr> <td> <table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr class="header2back"> <td class="mainbold" width="30%">Processing Date</td> <td class="mainbold" width="30%">Workout Type</td> <td class="mainbold" width="40%">Document Type</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="data" colspan="3">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="3" class="alert"> No Documents Found For This Account </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="3">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="main" colspan="3"> The above list is real-time and reflects the documents processed to date for this account. We may have received additional documents recently sent to us that have not been processed and therefore do not appear in the list. Please do not call us to check the status of a document not showing in the list as our representatives will not be able to provide any additional information than what is shown here. Thank you for your patience. </td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> <tr> <td>
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr class="header1back"> <td class="header1text"> Current Workout Status </td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table id="Table1" width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr class="header2back"> <td class="header3text" width="30%"> Loan Modification </td> <td width="20%"> View the Details </td> <td width="20%"> Hide the Details </td> <td width="30%"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="3">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table width="503" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2" height="512"><tbody><tr> <td class="mainbold" valign="top" width="30%" align="left"> Workout Status Details: </td> <td class="main" width="70%" align="left"> Your request for assistance is under review. During the review process, a thorough examination and analysis of your loan will be completed. During this time, we may or may not need additional information from you. It is common that you will not hear anything from us during the review period, but please be advised that all collections activities have been temporarily suspended during this review period. We expect more information to be available on 09/21/2009. If your status remains unchanged after the 09/21/2009, please call and speak to a customer service representative. Please do not call back before 09/21/2009 as that will delay the process. Please respond promptly to any calls or requests that you may receive from us during this period. Lack of response will cause your workout to be delayed or cancelled. Thank you. </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="mainbold" valign="top" width="30%" align="left"> Information as of: </td> <td class="main" width="70%" align="left"> 08/17/2009 </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="mainbold" valign="top" width="30%" align="left"> Workout Stage: </td> <td class="main" width="70%" align="left"> Processing </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="mainbold" valign="top" width="30%" align="left"> Phase/Sub-Phase: </td> <td class="main" width="70%" align="left"> Active Processing
</td></tr></tbody></table>

7. KEEP ON TOP OF THINGS! Continue to check your status for changes and don't hesitate to call if you do have questions. If you have general questions, post them on the forum. Someone may be able to assist you! The negotiators are obviously dealing with a large volume of requests. We don't want to bother them with general questions and impede anyone's progress on getting a modification by pestering them unnecessarily. Be sure to also post your story and update others on your progress. We can all benefit from other people's experiences!

Good luck to all! :D
YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY UNBELIEVABLY AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A thank you doesn't seem like it's enough.

Ginger's Mom

LoanSafe Member
Jul 16, 2009
I did this about 3 or 4 weeks ago & it does work! I received a call a few days after sending Barbara DeSoer an e-mail saying that I had waited 2 months aftering submiting an application for a mod under the HAMP and hadn't heard a thing from anyone & hadn't even been assigned a negotiator. We were 2 mos. behind already & were afraid of losing our house & needed their help ASAP.

Of course I had to send all updated docs to the advocacy person who called me but at least someone called! Right after that, we received a Fed/Ex delivery from BOA out of the clear blue, with a loan mod offer - of get this - adding our past due payments, interest & fees to the principal & INCREASING our payments by $128.42 a mo. No lowering of the interest rate or anything like that. Hmm...If I couldn't afford to make my payments before, which were lower, what makes you think I can make a higher payment?! Did no one read my hardship letter saying my income has been significantly reduced over the last year?!! Here's the really funny part - it came from the HOPE Team! Yeah, they HOPE I take their stupid offer! It took 2 days to get through to them to tell them thanks, but no thanks to their generous offer. When I asked why this & not the HAMP they said that many people were "happy" with these offers & just wanted to get caught up with payments. I then asked why would the bank knowing what our income & debts are now, approve us for a payment that would be 55% of our gross income? She then said that they could still be considering us for other mod options, but just wanted to get "something out to us" (yeah, right). This is what took 2 months? What a joke! I think they wait until you're desparately behind then offer you these crappy mods that only benefit the bank & the investor & think that you'll be forced into either accepting it or turning over your house to them. Also, then they can say to the gov't "We offered "x" many loan mods, but they weren't accepted or they defaulted later anyway. If they were accepted under these kind of terms, I can see why people wound up defaulting later on! It's almost a guarantee. Kind of like those payday loans, you get trapped into doing them over & over again because the fees are so high to pay them back.

Then a couple of days later I got a call back from the customer advocacy person at the OOP & was assigned a senior negotiator (located in the US, not in India!) who said that he would have my file reassigned to him, then run the numbers & then submit the package to his supervisor to see if we qualify. He said it would take about 2-3 weeks for him to get back to me, which should be around the end of this week. Cross your fingers! This is the one time that I'm hoping that my house is worth less!

ama125

LoanSafe Member
Jun 18, 2009
Reading, PA
I did this about 3 or 4 weeks ago & it does work! I received a call a few days after sending Barbara DeSoer an e-mail saying that I had waited 2 months aftering submiting an application for a mod under the HAMP and hadn't heard a thing from anyone & hadn't even been assigned a negotiator. We were 2 mos. behind already & were afraid of losing our house & needed their help ASAP.

Of course I had to send all updated docs to the advocacy person who called me but at least someone called! Right after that, we received a Fed/Ex delivery from BOA out of the clear blue, with a loan mod offer - of get this - adding our past due payments, interest & fees to the principal & INCREASING our payments by $128.42 a mo. No lowering of the interest rate or anything like that. Hmm...If I couldn't afford to make my payments before, which were lower, what makes you think I can make a higher payment?! Did no one read my hardship letter saying my income has been significantly reduced over the last year?!! Here's the really funny part - it came from the HOPE Team! Yeah, they HOPE I take their stupid offer! It took 2 days to get through to them to tell them thanks, but no thanks to their generous offer. When I asked why this & not the HAMP they said that many people were "happy" with these offers & just wanted to get caught up with payments. I then asked why would the bank knowing what our income & debts are now, approve us for a payment that would be 55% of our gross income? She then said that they could still be considering us for other mod options, but just wanted to get "something out to us" (yeah, right). This is what took 2 months? What a joke! I think they wait until you're desparately behind then offer you these crappy mods that only benefit the bank & the investor & think that you'll be forced into either accepting it or turning over your house to them. Also, then they can say to the gov't "We offered "x" many loan mods, but they weren't accepted or they defaulted later anyway. If they were accepted under these kind of terms, I can see why people wound up defaulting later on! It's almost a guarantee. Kind of like those payday loans, you get trapped into doing them over & over again because the fees are so high to pay them back.

Then a couple of days later I got a call back from the customer advocacy person at the OOP & was assigned a senior negotiator (located in the US, not in India!) who said that he would have my file reassigned to him, then run the numbers & then submit the package to his supervisor to see if we qualify. He said it would take about 2-3 weeks for him to get back to me, which should be around the end of this week. Cross your fingers! This is the one time that I'm hoping that my house is worth less!
Hi Ginger's Mom,
I know exactly what you are saying and glad to see you are not fooled by the carrot on the stick! I felt so relieved to have finally reached a person assigned to my file but was never certain as to what kind of offer he would draft up for me (it certainly was not HAMP from the terms and to no surprise was rejected by the investor). I have notified numerous agencies over BofA not reviewing cases for HAMP when that is clearly what the borrower has requested. If you have further complaints or specific reason to believe BofA is not complying with the HAMP guidelines, please email [email protected]. I only recently learned of this email address. It is the MHA Compliance department within Freddie Mac who was appointed by the Treasury to oversee compliance with the govt. program.
On a sidenote, my account yesterday is now showing a modification. I have no idea what this one is or if this is a result of my emailing the many agencies that I have, but I'm hoping it's not some ridiculous piece of crap! I hope your new package is not another carrot!
Good luck! :)

waterlogged

LoanSafe Member
Sep 22, 2009
Finally some action a day after emailing OOP

Thank you so very much for posting the office of the president contact information.

After months of making no progress with BoA, I sent an email to Barbara DeSoer yesterday. Then suddenly, today, I get a call on my cell phone from a new negotiator who called to let me know our case is being reopened.

I'm pretty sure the contact came as a result of the email to Ms. DeSoer because for the first time, I included my cell phone number as a contact number along with the home and work numbers.

kdtran08

LoanSafe Member
Jul 6, 2009
Hi Ginger's Mom,
I know exactly what you are saying and glad to see you are not fooled by the carrot on the stick! I felt so relieved to have finally reached a person assigned to my file but was never certain as to what kind of offer he would draft up for me (it certainly was not HAMP from the terms and to no surprise was rejected by the investor). I have notified numerous agencies over BofA not reviewing cases for HAMP when that is clearly what the borrower has requested. If you have further complaints or specific reason to believe BofA is not complying with the HAMP guidelines, please email [email protected]. I only recently learned of this email address. It is the MHA Compliance department within Freddie Mac who was appointed by the Treasury to oversee compliance with the govt. program.
On a sidenote, my account yesterday is now showing a modification. I have no idea what this one is or if this is a result of my emailing the many agencies that I have, but I'm hoping it's not some ridiculous piece of crap! I hope your new package is not another carrot!
Good luck! :)
Hey ama125, I think you read my story about a unknown phone call and a Fedex from office of President. They asked for everything again though I made all my 3 trial payments! For monthly expense, do I write down my original mortgage payment or the modified payment on trial plan? I have to make sure I get a "sufficient" and acceptable surplus. Thanks! You've been the BEST! I will keep everyone updated under my thread!

ama125

LoanSafe Member
Jun 18, 2009
Reading, PA
Hey ama125, I think you read my story about a unknown phone call and a Fedex from office of President. They asked for everything again though I made all my 3 trial payments! For monthly expense, do I write down my original mortgage payment or the modified payment on trial plan? I have to make sure I get a "sufficient" and acceptable surplus. Thanks! You've been the BEST! I will keep everyone updated under my thread!
To my understanding, no documents (appraisal value, pay stubs, etc) may be more than 90 days old. Since you were on a 3 month trial, all the original paperwork may now be outdated, hence the reason for them requesting it all over again (even if nothing has changed in your income, etc). Based on what you are saying, it would seem they may be working on a permanent mod (though one can never be too sure). I would submit the original payment amount for the mortgage in your monthly expenses along with any original figures unless those have changed. Good luck!