Leo007

LoanSafe Member
Jul 21, 2014
I recommend this lawyer and we're close to getting this case dismissed

Joseph E. Altschul
www.josephaltschul.com/
1911 NW 150th Ave, Pembroke Pines, FL 33028
(954) 556-4821
Thanks very much. I'll reach out to him. Any thoughts on fees and what to expect? You can PM me if you want me to use your reference. Thanks again.

Boxed

LoanSafe Member
May 28, 2014
Keep fighting, my attorney took a case that went to trial, dyck got a $1000 verdict from a 50k lawsuit.

Dyck tried to settle with my attorney for $180k divided up among all of us. We all said no, my new mediation date is April 8th. Will follow up with you all.

Boxed

LoanSafe Member
May 28, 2014
So my mediation was today and I settled with them...

$5,000

$75 per month for however long till the 5k is paid off. 0%

They were asking 10k, I offered 2k or bankruptcy since the bankruptcy filing fee was 2k. They lowered to 5k. I took it. They just want pennies on the dollar give it to them with a very low monthly payment and be done with it.

It didn't make any sense for me to take it to trial for another 5-6k in attorney fees win or lose.

Mort

LoanSafe Member
Jul 1, 2014
So my mediation was today and I settled with them...

$5,000

$75 per month for however long till the 5k is paid off. 0%

They were asking 10k, I offered 2k or bankruptcy since the bankruptcy filing fee was 2k. They lowered to 5k. I took it. They just want pennies on the dollar give it to them with a very low monthly payment and be done with it.

It didn't make any sense for me to take it to trial for another 5-6k in attorney fees win or lose.
Good for you! This whole foreclosure crisis was a nightmare for many of us, and Dyck's bottom feeding tactics just make me sick.

Zebra

LoanSafe Member
Feb 12, 2015
I don't know if anyone else got this but I got something new from Dyck O'Neal today. Normally every month I get a plain letter letting me know I need to contact them about the deficiency they claim I owe. I promptly file the letter in the circular storage container only opening it to see what the new name of my contact person is (it changes every few months so I suspect they have high turnover). Today though was different. I got a perforated envelope that states at the top "80% off". It says they are offering me 75% off my balance they say I owe plus an additional 5% if I call them in 5 days and pay the amount. It includes all the calculations which shows what the balance would be at 80% off. In bold letters below, it says "WE ARE NOT OBLIGATED TO RENEW ANY OFFER ON THIS PAGE"

It makes no mention of needing to turn over financial documentation. It simply says "If you call us at (800) 447-XXXX within 5 days of receiving this letter , and pay the amount quoted, you will receive an additional 5% of your unpaid balance as follows:" and then lists the balances with the net amount due.

I'm intrigued but don't trust them so I'm wondering if it's just bait to see if they can establish contact with me which has been difficult for them. Or perhaps its bait and then they say they want to see all the financials before they accept it. Anyone else seen or called about this?

JJ_beeper

LoanSafe Member
May 7, 2014
I don't know if anyone else got this but I got something new from Dyck O'Neal today. Normally every month I get a plain letter letting me know I need to contact them about the deficiency they claim I owe. I promptly file the letter in the circular storage container only opening it to see what the new name of my contact person is (it changes every few months so I suspect they have high turnover). Today though was different. I got a perforated envelope that states at the top "80% off". It says they are offering me 75% off my balance they say I owe plus an additional 5% if I call them in 5 days and pay the amount. It includes all the calculations which shows what the balance would be at 80% off. In bold letters below, it says "WE ARE NOT OBLIGATED TO RENEW ANY OFFER ON THIS PAGE"

It makes no mention of needing to turn over financial documentation. It simply says "If you call us at (800) 447-XXXX within 5 days of receiving this letter , and pay the amount quoted, you will receive an additional 5% of your unpaid balance as follows:" and then lists the balances with the net amount due.

I'm intrigued but don't trust them so I'm wondering if it's just bait to see if they can establish contact with me which has been difficult for them. Or perhaps its bait and then they say they want to see all the financials before they accept it. Anyone else seen or called about this?
I haven't seen or heard about such an offer, but if you think it is a good/fair deal, I would contact them (*67 so your number doesn't show) and try to claim the offer. If it does end up being a bait-and-switch offer or if they're just fishing for information, a judge might ultimately hold that against them if your case goes to trial. -JJ

Zebra

LoanSafe Member
Feb 12, 2015
I haven't seen or heard about such an offer, but if you think it is a good/fair deal, I would contact them (*67 so your number doesn't show) and try to claim the offer. If it does end up being a bait-and-switch offer or if they're just fishing for information, a judge might ultimately hold that against them if your case goes to trial. -JJ
I'm doing the math and trying to decide. If I trusted them I might but I'm leaning towards no.

Also as a quick warning about *67: I spent quite a bit of time in telco engineering and worked with these systems directly. *67 does NOT work if you are calling a toll-free number and many times not at all. Without getting too technical, there are two ways your number is transmitted through the switch fabric - CNID and ANI. *67 blocks CNID which tells your local switch to put a flag on the call telling the destination switch not to display the caller ID. In some cases there are certain network configs where that flag can be ignored and the caller-ID displayed anyway. ANI is used with toll free calls for transmitting your number to the person who is paying for the 800/toll free call since as the payer they have the right to know who they are paying for. You can't block ANI and ALL the collections agencies subscribe to a service to display the ANI caller ID for incoming toll-free calls. The sneaky ones also subscribe to services that ignore the *67 flag on CNID. Bottom line - don't EVER trust *67 to keep you anonymous from a company or agency.

Ted

LoanSafe Member
May 17, 2016
So I just got a letter from Dyck O'Neal today. It didn't say anything except they were "assigned the case" and that no collection effort would take place for 30 days. I live in FL but I had a house in TN that was foreclosed on in Oct 2015. I owed $113k~ and it was sold in Feb 2016 for $66k. I know this was way lower than FMV since I had a recent appraisal for $109k and on my 1099A the FMV was listed as $116k, more than what I owed the bank! I checked my credit report and I see Dyck O'Neal has a collection on my report dated Dec 2015 for $46k, but it shows status "closed". How can they do that? The file date was 5 months prior to them even notifying me of anything. I don't know what to do at this point. Should I wait and see what they do or should I dispute the collection account?

homeownerfloridas

LoanSafe Member
Apr 13, 2012
Has anyone won any cases with DON? I know it's been awhile but I don't think my attorney knows how to fight this case! Bankruptcy isn't an option and DON is talking about some $75k settlement which is ridiculous

PWOPM

LoanSafe Member
Jul 31, 2014
Has anyone won any cases with DON? I know it's been awhile but I don't think my attorney knows how to fight this case! Bankruptcy isn't an option and DON is talking about some $75k settlement which is ridiculous
Are those bottom feeding assholes still pursuing people?? Last I looked, most of their 2014 cases ended up in BK....

homeownerfloridas

LoanSafe Member
Apr 13, 2012
Yes and my case has been dragging on for over 3 years and it's been a nightmare. I can't file for bankruptcy and need a skilled attorney here

Boxed

LoanSafe Member
May 28, 2014
Offer to settle with them, go through mediation. Your attorney should side with you. First offer 3k, thats the cost of bk filing fees. They will counter with 5k. Make 0% interest payments for 5 years. good luck.

PWOPM

LoanSafe Member
Jul 31, 2014
Damn. That really sucks.. I always thought their business model sucked. Have you talked to Mark Stopa about your case? If I remember correctly, he was considered THE best in foreclosure defense.