Crazy letter came today

Garry

LoanSafe Member
Aug 7, 2009
Back in 2010 Chase won a default judgement against me on my credit cards. Basically I got served and never bothered to show up for court, so they won.
Anyway, today I get a letter from the attorneys that were representing Chase stating the following:

Dear Garry,
Please be advised that the above account has been paid in full. Accordingly, this office has closed it's files and notified our client of the same.

If you have any questions, please contact me at the above phone number.
I personally don't see how this is possible. I know I didn't pay them. Any thoughts?

Garry

LoanSafe Member
Aug 7, 2009
Well, I'm thinking there's three options.
1. They sold the debt, which I'm not sure can be done after a default judgement.
2. Someone paid other than me, government program maybe, who knows...
3. They're trying to ****er me into calling them in an attempt to score a valid phone number.

Ready2Run

LoanSafe Member
Aug 11, 2010
San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Well, I'm thinking there's three options.
1. They sold the debt, which I'm not sure can be done after a default judgement.
2. Someone paid other than me, government program maybe, who knows...
3. They're trying to ****er me into calling them in an attempt to score a valid phone number.
Or 4. They forgave it to score points with the DOJ settlement.

My vote is for #3 (or maybe #4) but I'd surely check your credit report long before calling them.

Garry

LoanSafe Member
Aug 7, 2009
Or 4. They forgave it to score points with the DOJ settlement.

My vote is for #3 (or maybe #4) but I'd surely check your credit report long before calling them.
Did that. Report shows charge off - write off. I'm thinking about taking all the paperwork down to the courthouse and asking them what's up.

Evan Bedard

Call 1-800-779-4547
Loan Safe Mortgage
Aug 26, 2007
San Diego, California
www.LoanSafe.org
I'm definitely interested in hearing what happens Garry, that would be awesome if they agreed to report the account as "paid in full."

Ready2Run

LoanSafe Member
Aug 11, 2010
San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Did that. Report shows charge off - write off. I'm thinking about taking all the paperwork down to the courthouse and asking them what's up.
Not a bad idea. The court should know if it's been forgiven or paid but it might take a few weeks for that and your credit report to get updated. If it's true you're in good shape so you can just sit and wait. If it's not true, nothing has really changed accept for a possible out later on based on that letter. Best of luck!

Garry

LoanSafe Member
Aug 7, 2009
I'm definitely interested in hearing what happens Garry, that would be awesome if they agreed to report the account as "paid in full."
It was a scam to get my phone number Evan. So much for wishful thinking!

Kenupstate

LoanSafe Member
Dec 11, 2012
I would contact them and tell them if I ever hear from them again I will contact the attorney generals office,they put it in writing that you paid it off now live with it