Continuance Question

chicagosurvivor

LoanSafe Member
May 16, 2008
I am working on a modification and near my wits end with the uncooperative servicer.

I am in Illinois. We have been declined for modification, but we are working on other options, but probably going to be forced to file bankruptcy / get legal help.

My question is this:

I have been going to the court dates and preparing as best I can. But the Plaintiff's attorney (representing Fannie Mae) has asked for continuance on the last two court dates before I spoke. Why would Fannie Mae / the attorney / the servicer be slowing down the process at this point? We are about 8 months into the process with a denied modification, and nothing on their end in process to stop them.

I am grateful for the time, but also afraid I may be missing something.

Thank you for any insight.

Jzone

LoanSafe Member
Jun 20, 2017
I am working on a modification and near my wits end with the uncooperative servicer.

I am in Illinois. We have been declined for modification, but we are working on other options, but probably going to be forced to file bankruptcy / get legal help.

My question is this:

I have been going to the court dates and preparing as best I can. But the Plaintiff's attorney (representing Fannie Mae) has asked for continuance on the last two court dates before I spoke. Why would Fannie Mae / the attorney / the servicer be slowing down the process at this point? We are about 8 months into the process with a denied modification, and nothing on their end in process to stop them.

I am grateful for the time, but also afraid I may be missing something.

Thank you for any insight.
Well, a continuance is not always bad. What was the reason given? If you have already been denied a modification, the bank knows you are willing to work with them. I doubt they have any reason to delay other than prolonging the process for you.

I went through similiar situation and decided to file bankruptcy. A good attorney will basically hold your hand throughout the process. I had to be present at one court appearance for filing and he handled the rest. No more phone calls, meetings, creditors etc...

Yes it will cost you about $2,000.

But you get a fresh start and you can focus on what you want. If you want to keep the house, keep making payments. Do not reaffirm your mortgage, but stay current. We got rid of our debt, except for our home. Had first and second mortgages.

Been paying on the first since bankruptcy, but stopped paying on the second. Second still has a lien, but has not threatened to foreclose and I have offered a 5% settlement to release the lien.

Keep reading this forum, it has tons of helpful advice.