Cell Phone Cable Internet Land Line

so-cal-gal

LoanSafe Member
I just ordered the Magic Jack device and am hoping to get rid of my landline this week. I've read that there are definitely disadvantages to using Magic Jack as opposed to a regular landline, but there is no way our phone service is worth $50 a month. And I should be able to keep my AT&T DSL service without having the regular phone service, although it looks like they charge a little more for DSL without having the phone service bundled. The only thing about Magic Jack is everything about it is so cheesy... from their infomercials, to their website, to their "FREE TRIAL." Everything about it seems like a scam, but I've read enough positive reviews to convince me that everything is on the level. Just wish they would run their company with a little more professionalism.
I can tell you first-hand what the disadvantages are with Magic Jack. I'm headed back to Vonage at $25.99 per month (initial 6 months is $14.99 per month) and all the equipment is being provided free (by going back I'm getting the newest 'box').

To use Vonage you need internet service. The same is true for Magic Jack.

The problems I'm having with Magic Jack
1. You never know if a call is going to be understandable. Sometimes it is 'good' for both parties. Sometimes it is atrocious for me to hear the other party, but FREQUENTLY people have told me that they can not hear ME. I was using the very same phones with Vonage and did not have this problem. I had to resort to some calls using my CELL PHONE and those minutes need to be reserved for times that I do not have access to a landline, not just the landline does not WORK!

2. You can not 'port' your existing phone number (if there is a way it is not shown on their website where you can try for a 'premium' number for an added charge of $10. It still does not let you actually PORT the number you currently had in use with the other service.)

3. A friend made the mistake of turning off their laptop where the device was attached/installed, without first closing the MJ application. She had the really bad luck of having to re-install the operating system. Be really careful with this aspect.

4. I was told to make sure the computer that the device was attached to did not have a lot of applications that were also running. Well, I have a spare computer that is REALLY little used that I put the device on. It has enough speed and without any other load on that system, the service should have more than sufficient resources.

It did NOT work well enough to keep the service.

wattsm

LoanSafe Member
thanks for the input, so-cal-gal. I just received the magic jack in the mail today, so I'm going to try it out for a week or two before deciding if it's worth it.

moretrouble

LoanSafe Member
I use Skype: $2.95 for voice mail buy a number for $30.00/yr so for five and half bucks per month I got a reliable phone, take voice mail from all my creditors, caller ID etc. To use it without a computer I bought a IPEVO Wifi phone. Been using Skype for over 2 years and happy with it.

wattsm

LoanSafe Member
I called AT&T today about my home phone service. I had been paying $67/month, which included $25 for DSL and about $42 for local/long distance. I asked to be switched to the local, metered plan, which is about $8.50 a month. It includes unlimited incoming calls and 60 outgoing local calls per month (no Caller ID, or other bells and whistles). I also switched to a long distance plan that has no monthly fee but is 32 cents a minute for domestic calls. My plan is to use Magic Jack and/or Skype to make outgoing long distance calls. Then I was able to get them to reduce my DSL fee to $15/month by committing to another one year term. So including taxes and other fees, my new payment to AT&T will be about $30/month, saving about $35 a month. I was nervous about completely getting rid of my landline because of some of the things I've heard about the internet based phone services, so this is a good compromise for me. I've now cut $90 off my monthly expenses between the phone and canceling my DirectTV, next up is homeowners and auto insurance. Hoping to get substantially cheaper plans by shopping around.

so-cal-gal

LoanSafe Member
next up is homeowners and auto insurance. Hoping to get substantially cheaper plans by shopping around.
Make sure you stay with a company that will actually pay in case you do have any loss. Some companies have bad records that way.

At one time I had Wawanesa. I have seen reports that they are worse than others for canceling if you have any loss and also, they definitely did not extend insurance to rentals.

That is one aspect that you need to be aware of. Not having to pay the daily insurance rate for a rental vehicle if yours is in the shop or if you travel can add up.

The best way to save on both the car and homeowners insurance is to increase your deductible. If your car is really old and does not have much value, you might want to just maintain liability insurance.

For homeowners' insurance, any deductible of less than $1000 is actually a waste of the difference. If you put in a claim on something that is under $1000 (but obviously above your actual dieductible), you are very likely to just have the policy cost more when it is renewed. That is per my own insurance company's personnel (USAA).

So if your homeowner's insurance policy has a $500 or $750 deductible, raise that deductible.

faith

LoanSafe Member
I can tell you first-hand what the disadvantages are with Magic Jack. I'm headed back to Vonage at $25.99 per month (initial 6 months is $14.99 per month) and all the equipment is being provided free (by going back I'm getting the newest 'box').

To use Vonage you need internet service. The same is true for Magic Jack.

The problems I'm having with Magic Jack
1. You never know if a call is going to be understandable. Sometimes it is 'good' for both parties. Sometimes it is atrocious for me to hear the other party, but FREQUENTLY people have told me that they can not hear ME. I was using the very same phones with Vonage and did not have this problem. I had to resort to some calls using my CELL PHONE and those minutes need to be reserved for times that I do not have access to a landline, not just the landline does not WORK!

2. You can not 'port' your existing phone number (if there is a way it is not shown on their website where you can try for a 'premium' number for an added charge of $10. It still does not let you actually PORT the number you currently had in use with the other service.)

3. A friend made the mistake of turning off their laptop where the device was attached/installed, without first closing the MJ application. She had the really bad luck of having to re-install the operating system. Be really careful with this aspect.

4. I was told to make sure the computer that the device was attached to did not have a lot of applications that were also running. Well, I have a spare computer that is REALLY little used that I put the device on. It has enough speed and without any other load on that system, the service should have more than sufficient resources.

It did NOT work well enough to keep the service.

I agree with you, I have purchased Magic Jack at Radioshack but I have never used it. I have googled the good and the bad about Magic Jack and all the bad existed. Plus if you ordered it through this company via Credit Card they will be charging you money wthin 6 months of used, when it's supposed to be $19.99 a year and according to some of the complaints it's hard to get a refund so I kept my Jack and never used it since I bought it at the Shack, now the Jack is a Hack.

faith

LoanSafe Member
I use Skype: $2.95 for voice mail buy a number for $30.00/yr so for five and half bucks per month I got a reliable phone, take voice mail from all my creditors, caller ID etc. To use it without a computer I bought a IPEVO Wifi phone. Been using Skype for over 2 years and happy with it.

I am interested in getting Skype can I attached it to a cell phone because I don't have landlines. Where do I get IPEVO Wifi phone, with Skype do I get a monthly bill or just the$30 a year as you have mentioned about.

I have verizon, my husband and I only used less than 400 minutes but we still have to pay $136 a month and thank God the contract will expired in July this year. We can't cancel it they said we have to pay $175 for each phone.
I hope I can attached Skype to a cell phone.

thanks

TracyKelley

LoanSafe Member
This is indeed an informative thread. Being in the computer field, I have an affinity towards anything that is digital. I would second Liz Medrano and brasscupcakes. Skype has been very helpful and it does provide decent quality. Still looking out for Google Voice invite.

P

pwsolutions

i have stopped using my cell phone and landlines. using skype now.. and saving almost $300 dollars a month.

Moe Bedard

Call 1-800-779-4547
Staff member
Loan Safe Mortgage
I use cricket cell phone, $30 a month unlimited, $5 etra for voicemail, call waiting, etc. Thinking about cricket unlimited modem and magic jack for everything including substituting for cell phone with laptop, and magic jack, and cricket modem. Should cost about $53 a month total for home and road coverage, phone and internet. Anyone see many major problems with this idea? I would save $35 from cell phone, $35 from landline per month, but need to upgrade from my current ISP.

treezie

LoanSafe Member
If you live alone, what I would do is buy a 4g phone and cancel your internet. So when you get home, turn on your 4g and tether for free.

jhn_plsn

LoanSafe Member
Pardon if inappropriate to bring back an old thread.

I currently have basic cable and high speed internet through Charter at $129 per month. I have been considering cancelling the cable entirely but I like the sports channels. Can anyone say if they were bale to reduce their Charter bill without reducing the service level?

We cancelled the house phone a year or so ago and do not miss it, but our four line Verizon smart phone bill is a bit large. I see many great offers but fear the bait and switch. We have a small allotment for data and primarily use wifi to keep the data down. Has anyone been able to obtain a reduced rate from Verizon for their smart phone bill?

bingoman

LoanSafe Member
Pardon if inappropriate to bring back an old thread.

I currently have basic cable and high speed internet through Charter at $129 per month. I have been considering cancelling the cable entirely but I like the sports channels. Can anyone say if they were bale to reduce their Charter bill without reducing the service level?

We cancelled the house phone a year or so ago and do not miss it, but our four line Verizon smart phone bill is a bit large. I see many great offers but fear the bait and switch. We have a small allotment for data and primarily use wifi to keep the data down. Has anyone been able to obtain a reduced rate from Verizon for their smart phone bill?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can't comment on getting Charter discount, but for Verizon, my wife and I both were longtime Verizone subscribers. I (not my wife) took the plunge earlier this year and dumped my Verizon dumb phone for a Cricket Wireless Samsung smartphone. They are a no contract service and are owned by AT&T. They have different data usage levels, but I started out with the $40/month 1 Gigabyte data plan and get a $5/month discount for auto pay, so it's only $35/month. The service on my LTE phone is great here in Metro-Detroit. My wife is ready to switch now also. Hope this helps.

Also, my method for reducing my cable/internet bill is to call and ask to cancel your TV service, but not your internet. I'm always offered a promotional discount that usually lasts 6 months to a year. Worth a try. I've been doing it for years. I pay $104/month for high speed internet, HD TV (1 box) and 2 digital converters, no premium channels.

jhn_plsn

LoanSafe Member
Thanks Bingo Man.