Cell Phone Cable Internet Land Line

Welcome to the LoanSafe Forums!
Get free mortgage help today. Since 2007, the LoanSafe forums have helped millions of homeowners over the last 13 years either save their homes with a loan modification, obtain a short sale, forbearance, or walk away legally from their underwater mortgages.
Register for FREE

Murray12

LoanSafe Member
Jun 30, 2009
MA
predatorylendinginfo.com
1. Called my cable company and told them I wanted the rate that they were giving new customers. They agreed.

2. Will be switching to prepaid cell phone. Two companies I am considering are Page Plus and Straight Talk. Straight Talk just came out and they will be selling them at Wal Mart. Great Plans. Prepaid is not what it used to be.

christy4

LoanSafe Member
May 19, 2008
We had our cable, internet, and land line bundled with Time Warner. It wasn't bad while we were in the 12 month period at a reduced rate but once we hit the 12 months, we got hit with the regular bundle amount. To top it off, we had an unlisted number that Time Warner "forgot" to charge us for and once the monthly charges adjusted, we were also billed $4.95/mo. for the unlisted number fee. By the time it was all said and done, our Time Warner bill was a little over $140 monthly. We didn't even have any movie channels or any extras, just a digital box on our main tv and $7.95 monthly for wireless networking along with the charge for Roadrunner.

Our land line was costing us $39.95/mo plus the $4.95 unlisting fee. I checked into Vonage and we would still have paid about $33.00/mo with them.

So, I did the "AS SEEN ON TV" thing and got a Magic Jack!! I bought it at Radio Shack for $39.99 which included the first YEAR of service, after that YEARLY service is $19.95. It has everything that our phone service thru Time Warner had, including free local and long distance calling. The Magic Jack plugs into a usb port on my computer and the only requirement is that the computer has to be on to make or receive calls. Mine's on all the time anyway. Even if you travel alot, you can take the Magic Jack with you and make calls from any computer.

I figured I'd give the Magic Jack a try, especially since it has a money back guarantee. So far, I LOVE IT!!!! Time Warner wasn't especially happy when I cancelled their phone service but over 12 months, I'll be saving $538.80 which doesn't even count the tax Time Warner was charging for the phone. There are no monthly taxes for the Magic Jack either!

Liz Medrano

LoanSafe Member
Jul 29, 2009
Fort Myers, FL
Skype is another phone service option. I pay $8 every three months; I use my conputer to landlines. You can also buy a phone that is compatible with Skype.

Apply for Google Voice -- I've had an account forever. If you enter long distance numbers via computer, it connects that number to your home telephone and the call is free. It may take a little while after applying for an invitation, but eventually you get one and it's extremely easy to use. (Plus, you can get a free local number which will forward to wherever you may be living in future -- no small consideration for those of us facing possible foreclosure). btw, as an existing member, I'll occasionally get a free invitation so if somebody needs one "right now," contact me and the second I get one, it's yours.

ultimate4799

LoanSafe Member
Nov 24, 2008
Our land line was costing us $39.95/mo plus the $4.95 unlisting fee. I checked into Vonage and we would still have paid about $33.00/mo with them.

So, I did the "AS SEEN ON TV" thing and got a Magic Jack!! I bought it at Radio Shack for $39.99 which included the first YEAR of service, after that YEARLY service is $19.95. It has everything that our phone service thru Time Warner had, including free local and long distance calling. The Magic Jack plugs into a usb port on my computer and the only requirement is that the computer has to be on to make or receive calls. Mine's on all the time anyway. Even if you travel alot, you can take the Magic Jack with you and make calls from any computer.

I figured I'd give the Magic Jack a try, especially since it has a money back guarantee. So far, I LOVE IT!!!! Time Warner wasn't especially happy when I cancelled their phone service but over 12 months, I'll be saving $538.80 which doesn't even count the tax Time Warner was charging for the phone. There are no monthly taxes for the Magic Jack either!

Hey Christy, can you help confirm the majic jack is for real and working fine with no hidden charge, issues whatsoever? My spouse and I are debating if we will get one and would like to hear from your experience :) I appreciate it.

christy4

LoanSafe Member
May 19, 2008
The Magic Jack is for real, no hidden charges. The only thing I've noticed with it is when you go to make a call, there is a 2 to 3 second delay before you hear a dial tone. I did have one issue where the sound during a call would cut in and out but it was an easy fix that took me less than 5 minutes to do. Other than that, I've had no problems and I'm very pleased with it and the money that I'm saving by using the Magic Jack.

And if you get one and decide that you don't like it, just send it in and they will refund your money. Check out their website for more information, and you can talk to a live operator if you have any questions.

caldwell02

LoanSafe Member
Jan 30, 2010
You probably don't get an answering machine with Magic Jack? Or Voice Mail? Or caller id?

moretrouble

LoanSafe Member
Nov 14, 2009
I also use Skype. $30/year to buy a number and $2/month to get voice mail. I use IPEVO WIFI phone $70 bucks) so do not need to turn on computer. It works great. So for $11 month I got a phone cheaper than $30 land line.

Marie T

LoanSafe Member
Apr 19, 2009
I have been wondering about the Magic Jack too. It seems that all at once everything has reset to higher prices. I have found that when I call the phone/cable/internet company and threaten to go with their competitor they give me the lower rate again and I have had great success with that but it is still a lot.

It would be tough to give up cable because that is really our only entertainment we do anymore and for our whole family it seems like a decent buy but I have been shopping around to see if the Dish TV would be less.

The problem is that the company that provides the TV cable and phone has high speed internet and it doesn't seem that fast so I can't imagine going with a competitor that is slower. If I get rid of the other two services , then internet is about double.

ultimate4799

LoanSafe Member
Nov 24, 2008
Yes, with Magic Jack you get Voicemail, caller ID, and free directory assistance
Hey Christy, One more question for majic jack. Do you need a dedicated computer for it? Does it need any software installed? Reason I ask is my computer is a little old(about to break I think) and just got mine one and plan to install now. However, I worry if all of a sudden my computer breaks and I need to get another, will the majic jack still work on other computers?

christy4

LoanSafe Member
May 19, 2008
No, you do not need a dedicated computer---all you need to do is plug the phone line into the magic jack, then plug the magic jack into a USB port on your computer. You can take the magic jack with you on trips if you have computer access.

wattsm

LoanSafe Member
Jul 9, 2009
California
I've been using pay as you go cell phones for the last couple of years. Through Virgin Mobile, you can get cheap phones for as little as $15 (with no commitment). They also have phones with all the bells and whistles for as much as $100. Then, all you have to do is add $20 to your account every three months, which works out to under $7 a month. You are paying about 20 cents a minute, but as long as you keep calls brief this can be a very affordable option for people who don't use their cell phones a lot but would like one for emergencies or limited use.

LostVegas

LoanSafe Member
Jan 7, 2010
Love this thread!! We are looking to cut our regular landline, but don't want to completely lose it. Is it possible to get the magic jack and google voice at the same time. I'd go to cell phone only but don't want to in case of emergencies and the cells can't get service.

Bert C

LoanSafe Member
Jun 25, 2008
South Florida
Here is another option which I have used for the last 4 years or so. It is called, Phone Power. Phone Power - VoIP

They have lots of choices and for us it works just fine. We pay around $22.00 per month (including taxes and fees). It uses your existing internet and has all the bells and whistles as do traditional land lines.

Bert

wattsm

LoanSafe Member
Jul 9, 2009
California
I just ordered the Magic Jack device and am hoping to get rid of my landline this week. I've read that there are definitely disadvantages to using Magic Jack as opposed to a regular landline, but there is no way our phone service is worth $50 a month. And I should be able to keep my AT&T DSL service without having the regular phone service, although it looks like they charge a little more for DSL without having the phone service bundled. The only thing about Magic Jack is everything about it is so cheesy... from their infomercials, to their website, to their "FREE TRIAL." Everything about it seems like a scam, but I've read enough positive reviews to convince me that everything is on the level. Just wish they would run their company with a little more professionalism.