ALS & Citi contact info

jimbojones35

LoanSafe Member
Oct 1, 2009
Hello:
Does anyone have email address(es) for individuals with "authority" at Aurora Loan Services (who is the servicer for my loan and the investor is Citibank) that I could contact? Any email addresses for Citibank would be helpful as well. I have been getting an aweful runaround from ALS for the last six months in trying to get my loan modified (gone through all the standard channels, kept phone logs, sent updated financials...just to be rejected two days ago for a mod which makes no sense whatsoever) and so I would like to escalate somehow.

Also, what is the best approach is dealing with the investor (citi) when you have a servicer (ALS) in the picture?

I'm due to give birth in a few weeks and this is the last thing that I want to deal with when my child arrives...

Thanks!

Evan Bedard

Call 1-800-779-4547
Loan Safe Mortgage
Aug 26, 2007
San Diego, California
www.LoanSafe.org
Hi jimbojones35,

Also, what is the best approach is dealing with the investor (citi) when you have a servicer (ALS) in the picture?

I'm due to give birth in a few weeks and this is the last thing that I want to deal with when my child arrives...
You will need to work with Aurora to get your loan modified. What department have you been calling?

Hopefull2009

LoanSafe Member
Feb 21, 2009
I have been getting an aweful runaround from ALS for the last six months in trying to get my loan modified (gone through all the standard channels, kept phone logs, sent updated financials...just to be rejected two days ago for a mod which makes no sense whatsoever
What was the reason for denial? I also has Aurora as my servicer and investor and I hate to say it, but I've been at this with them for over a year - 2 denials. I'm apparently now in the "real" HAMP trial period. I just made my 3rd payment today. My 2nd mortgage with them sits in limbo pending modification (which I submitted in June).

Unfortunately, with Aurora - it depends who you get on the phone and their level of knowledge. I find I get the best (if there even is a best with Aurora) people when I use this number 866-521-3828 and not the 550-0509 number.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this when you should be enjoying a very happy event in your life.

I'd first figure out why you were denied and then work from there.

jimbojones35

LoanSafe Member
Oct 1, 2009
Hello:
I too have been going through the 866-521-3828 route for the last six months. However, it usually takes me on average 30 min to get to the loss mitigation/home retention dept because when I call, I always get redirected to customer service first... and then after the standard questioning, I get forwarded to the loss mitigation department. I was told that this is because I am current on the loan (unfortunately that will no longer be the case in the coming month) and that this is how they handle the heavy number of calls.

Some background: We started the process originally in May09 in anticipation of being at-risk of defaulting on our loan. Our paperwork (2nd try) was officially in their system in Jun09 and then we were told to wait 90 days, which turned into 120d and now a rejection. The notes in their system state that we can afford the loan as-is (this is an I/O loan btw), which I do not understand b/c our expense worksheet showed a positive cash flow of $12/mo (hardship also described in a letter). We're barely keeping afloat and now with baby#2 coming along, that will no longer be possible. So, I am wondering what other avenues I have. Also, do you know if the lender can "force" you to liquidate your 401K (I'm sure that they expect you to do that, but legally they cannot make you, right?). The limited funds in my 401K/IRA are sort of my only source of security and I do not want to touch them. My savings are a joke at this point in trying to keep current (as some months, we are not in the +).

And of course, if you have any email address(es) or phone numbers of anyone who I could potentially escalate up to, please let me know. I have gone as far as actually trying various combinations of emails for the ALS CEO, but the emails bounce back. I'm really trying. I will be also be attending a NACA wkshp this wkend, although I'm not sure how lengthy the process will end up being going through them... and someone posted a success story by contacting their representative, so I will try that as well.

Thank you in advance for any feedback!

davephx

LoanSafe Member
Jul 21, 2009
Take your gross income x 31%.

If your 1st mortgage is less than that (forget 2nd or any other expenses) than under HAMP "you CAN afford the loan" That is the cut and dry fail or pass test at least before you get to the NPV test etc.

No, they can not "force" you to liquidate 401k. But they can foreclose. Your 401k/IRA is exempt however in bankrucpy.

jimbojones35

LoanSafe Member
Oct 1, 2009
Davephx - my understanding was that along with mortgage #1, the HAMP calculation included property taxes + home insurance + mortgage #2. This indicates that we should get a relief of ~$500/mo based on gross income * 31%. If not, how do you get around that in an effort to get a loan mod when one has brought all other expenses down to a bare minimum? Any suggestions would be really helpful. I'm now trying to understand that if loan mod is not an option, then perhaps a short sale is our final resort.
Thx again!

MyHAMP

LoanSafe Member
Oct 5, 2009
Florida
Davephx - my understanding was that along with mortgage #1, the HAMP calculation included property taxes + home insurance + mortgage #2.
The second is NOT included in the 31% of gross-calculation.

MyHAMP

LoanSafe Member
Oct 5, 2009
Florida
Should I then ask for a "traditional" modification?
When it comes to monthly payments, I do believe HAMP is as good as it gets. Many lenders use up to 38% of your income to determine your mortgage payment - and usually, they don't include the second either.

MyHAMP

LoanSafe Member
Oct 5, 2009
Florida
Do you have any advice on how to proceed based on your experience?
Thanks.
I would call the lender and officially ask to be considered for HAMP. At the same time, I would call 1-888-995-HOPE and set up an appointment for a one-on-one meeting with a counselor in your area (always better than over the phone).

I know that is standard procedure but I'm sure that counselor can do much more for you because he has access to all your info.:)

jimbojones35

LoanSafe Member
Oct 1, 2009
So the counselor works with the lender directly?

I called ALS last night to follow-up (I had put in a request for the underwriter to call us providing details as to why our application was rejected... but no response yet) and asked her what info she had in the system regarding our expense worksheet. Low and behold - she had incorrect income info and missing expenses. After all the clarity we provided on our worksheets, how could this have happened!?! She said their records indicated that they had received all of our updated information but 70% of what she told me was in their system did not match what we had provided. Gosh, how frustrating! I'm wondering if this is delay tactic on their part, squeezing us until we have no choice but to default (which is what is going to happen next month)...

MyHAMP

LoanSafe Member
Oct 5, 2009
Florida

Hopefull2009

LoanSafe Member
Feb 21, 2009
When I was denied the first time by Aurora when I applied for mod, I was told over the phone (after a long 90 day wait) it was denied. I received a letter about ? 6-7 days later. The letter allowed you to send in additional documentation if you did not agree with their decision, but it had to be mailed within 10 days of the letter to be considered. You'll probably get the letter any day and maybe you can respond to that, or you can do like I've done - start the process all over again. Have you specifically asked to apply for HAMP?

jimbojones35

LoanSafe Member
Oct 1, 2009
Hi Hopeful:
We did not specifically call out a program (like HAMP) in our hardship letter, but merely explained the hardship and #s at length and asked for our loan to be modified as a result (we are imminently at-risk of default). For some reason, ALS does not see it that way. We are about $100-$120K underwater, have an I/O loan for the first mortgage and are ~$12/mo in the positive every month right now (some months we've obviously been in the negative). Since we have a 2nd mortgage with another lender, it appears we do not qualify for HAMP (?). I spoke with another ALS rep over the phone on Sat and confirmed her #s were finally matching what we had submitted. I will be sending the same information over to them via fax (for the 3rd time) on Monday. Hopeful, what do you mean by starting the process all over again and did that help you? Also, did it mean resetting that god-aweful 90d clock?
Thanks!

MyHAMP

LoanSafe Member
Oct 5, 2009
Florida
Hi Hopeful:
Since we have a 2nd mortgage with another lender, it appears we do not qualify for HAMP (?).
Having a 2nd mortgage does NOT disqualify you from HAMP. No matter who the lender is.

flagirl4444

LoanSafe Member
Sep 7, 2009
Having a 2nd mortgage does NOT disqualify you from HAMP. No matter who the lender is.
Maybe not directly. But it can affect the results of the NPV, because DTI and total LTV can increase the likelihood of redefault, etc. Also, in many situations the 2nd lien holder has to agree to a lien resubordination in order for the first loan modification to work. So there are PLENTY of situations where a 2nd mortgage can prevent a modification on the first. Since we don't know the specifics of the OP's situation and whether any of that applies, it's not correct to say that a 2nd mortgage doesn't disqualify you from HAMP.

Hopefull2009

LoanSafe Member
Feb 21, 2009
did it mean resetting that god-aweful 90d clock?
Thanks!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
Unfortunately, yes - it starts the process all over again. For me, I was behind when I started the process. They usually (on mod requests aside from HAMP) push the 3 payment plan and then apply for mod.

Have you actually asked on the phone to be considered for HAMP? The 2nd mortgage does not eliminate the possibility.

MyHAMP

LoanSafe Member
Oct 5, 2009
Florida
Maybe not directly. But it can affect the results of the NPV, because DTI and total LTV can increase the likelihood of redefault, etc. Also, in many situations the 2nd lien holder has to agree to a lien resubordination in order for the first loan modification to work. So there are PLENTY of situations where a 2nd mortgage can prevent a modification on the first. Since we don't know the specifics of the OP's situation and whether any of that applies, it's not correct to say that a 2nd mortgage doesn't disqualify you from HAMP.
CERTAINLY not directly.

The OP said "Since we have a 2nd mortgage with another lender, it appears we do not qualify for HAMP". Since the OP pointed out that he/she has a second with another lender, I pointed out that that's no reason not to apply for HAMP. At that point, the OP is far away from an NPV-test and I want to make sure that every member uses every possibility there is to advance.

Simply having a second mortgage does NOT disqualify you from HAMP.
I could also say that simply having a CC can disqualify you from HAMP - in regards to the NPV - but that's a little far fetched as well.

I said before that I've yet to see one single case where HAMP was denied because the second refused to resubordination.

flagirl4444

LoanSafe Member
Sep 7, 2009
I know this is going to come as a big shock to you, MYHAMP, but you are not the only one here with valuable input. I never said having a 2nd loan would disqualify, just gave examples where it might end up that way. And I never said the OP shouldn't apply for HAMP, nor did my reply insinuate such. I just stated what COULD happen. The OP never said they haven't applied for HAMP, so one could also assume that they did and were given that reason as a denial. Yours is not the only point of view.

You base everything on what you read on these forums and completely disregard information and data provided by reliable sources such as the GSE servicer guides, credible articles, and the CONGRESSIONAL OVERSIGHT PANEL who specifically noted 2nd mortgages as a huge barrier to modification success. You have tunnel vision and you need to get your head out of your a** and look at reality rather than "should be's."

I NEVER said the OP shouldn't apply for HAMP, just giving another point of view as to how and why a 2nd mortgage COULD prevent a HAMP modification. You can deny it all you want just because you haven't specifically seen a post on this forum from someone who was denied for that exact reason, but I think the COP is privy to much more credible data than you are. People need to understand this from ALL angles and have a realistic view of what may actually happen. Telling people that a 2nd mortgage would never disqualify them from HAMP is misleading and short sighted. No, it doesn't automatically disqualify but ultimately it can prevent it.