The OCC to Help Foreclosed Homeowners

(Source: OCC) WASHINGTON — Did you face foreclosure in 2009 or 2010? If so, the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency says you may be eligible for a free independent review of your case.

Independent foreclosure re views let borrowers who faced foreclosure on their primary residences between January 1, 2009 and December 31, 2010 request reviews of their cases if they believe they suffered financial injury as a result of errors in the foreclosure processes of these servicers:  America’s Servicing Company, Aurora Loan Services, Bank of America, Beneficial, Chase,Citibank, CitiFinancial, Citi Mortgage, Country-Wide, EMC, EverBank/Everhome, Freedom Financial, GMAC Mortgage, HFC, HSBC, IndyMac Mortgage Ser vices, MetLife Bank, National City, PNC, Sovereign Bank, Sun-Trust Mortgage, U.S. Bank, Wachovia, Washington Mutual, and Wells Fargo.

The reviews will determine whether individuals suffered financial injury and should receive compensation or other remedies due to errors or other problems during their home foreclosure process. The reviews were ordered by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency and the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve in April 2011 after the federal regulators found unsafe and unsound mortgage servicing and foreclosure practices among these large, federally regulated mortgage servicers.

Situations that may have led to financial injury include, but are not limited to:

  • The mortgage balance at the time of the foreclosure action was more than you actually owed.
  • Fees charged or mortgage payments were inaccurately calculated, processed or applied.
  • You were doing everything a modification agreement required but the foreclosure sale still happened.
  • The foreclosure action occurred while you were protected by bankruptcy.
  • A foreclosure proceeded on a military member in violation of Servicemembers Civil Relief Act protections.

More than 4 million letters were mailed to potentially eligible borrowers with request-for-review forms and instructions on how to complete and return them. The form lets you describe what you think went wrong. Simply answer the questions to tell your story, include any additional documents you think relevant and return the form by April 30, 2012.

If you believe you are eligible and have not received a form, you can request one from (888) 952-9105, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. (ET) and Saturday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (ET).

For additional information and answers to basic questions about the review process, visit Reviews are conducted by independent consultants working under the direction of the federal regulators and may take several months to complete.

You can learn more at

Related Links

Search for Mortgage Rates

Share This!
Moe Bedard on linkedinMoe Bedard on facebookMoe Bedard on email2
Moe Bedard
Founder at
My name is Maurice "Moe" Bedard. I am the founder of America's #1 Mortgage Forum, My online work has been featured in the New York Times, LA Times, Fox Business, and many other media publications. I currently live in Carlsbad, California with my beautiful wife and children.
  • henry bennett

    i need someone to look into my housing stuation dealing with bank of America if you could please.

  • Maria L. Nierman

    Hi, my apartment was for foreclosure on november 2010, my loan original was with Wachovia Bank, but then Well’s Fargo took over, and i try to get a loan modification, but every time i call the bank they ask me for a bunch of paper’s, and i always give them what they need, but at the end they always come with excuse that the date line was over, and i try like 3 times or maybe more, but at the end they just decide to loos my case and go for foreclosure, and i dint think they where right after all the work that i did and all the money that i give them for down payment almost $450.000. and five years paying the mortgage i was devastate when they toll me that i have to live my condominium, i hope is some one who can help me to do something, I’m rely lost and don’t know what to do, please help me.



  • Luz Elva Ramirez

    I want to have information about my revision papers of my property, because the Bank put me in Foreclosure, I need HELP.

  • cheryl williams

    my house was foreclose if irecall 2009;they kept raising my mortgage,when they shouldn,t have.i ended up paying monies to a trustee, what they did with the money i have no clue. then i ended up losing my,house due to losing my job and as a result i ended up filing bankruptcy.

  • Annette Martin

    I lost my home in 2009 ,through EMC Morgage .it was my mom and dads house and I lived there 45years of my life ,born and raised there. I was trying to work with them for my mortgage payment and they still refused the payment I had, I was in foreclosure my payment was 1500 hindered a month I had 1100 hundred for the modification loan and they told me they couldn’t except that .needless to say it foreclosed and I lost my primary home that I grew up in. And got bad credit on top of that I don’t think I’ll be able to get another house cause I asked for there HELP and they couldn’t help me . Now my question is I want my credit back can you help me with that

  • Annette Martin

    And my husband is a veteran and disabled and has a veteran s GI Bill certificate for 36.000 for a home and EMC still couldn’t help me cause he had no income at that time

  • Evan Bedard

    Hello Annette,

    Please join our FREE forum here on LoanSafe as we have over 100,000 homeowners and professionals alike. We will do all we can to help you achieve your goal!

  • Nancy Mavrakis

    I had a similar situation as yourself. I never received the free “independent review” notice that was sent to many homeowners. I fell behind in my payments on my home, and lost my job in the process. I hired a modification company to work with my lender to establish a lower payment with a lower interest rate to make my loan more affordable. As a last resort, I filed bankruptcy to protect my property from foreclosure. The modification company was suppose to help me to modify my loan, but were not successful with my lender. I paid a substantial amount to an attorney who filed a stay on my property only to have my property foreclosed on anyway. The only thing my lender did while under bankruptcy protection was too greatly increase my monthly payment to an amount that I could never afford to pay.

    I was devastated when I found a notice on my door that my property was sold at auction without my knowledge, and I was to vacate my home. Now, I have no home, I have been forced into renting since losing my home, and the only thing I have now is bad credit with foreclosure and bankruptcy on my credit reports which makes it next to impossible to obtain any type of credit. Now that the OCC and federal reserve have enforced lenders into helping their borrowers, I am hopeful to receive enough compensation to make up for my financial losses, as well as the stress and anxiety that the whole experience put me through.

    Unfortunately as yourself, now that the OCC and federal reserve are enforcing these lenders into helping their borrowers, it is too late for many in saving their homes. I wish they would have enforced this action against predatory lenders in helping their borrowers save their homes much sooner. Good luck to you.