It seems a lot of us think about cutting back or evaluating what we spend more so in a bad economy as we are trying to cut back! But, it is good to do anytime. If you can save $100 on food throw that $100 right into savings!
Here are a few ways after finding out when moving into our home we would be $500+ negative a month:
- Joined a credit union. I didn't know much about CU. But, we have been able to put 2 or 3 payments to the back of our loan. One time they ran a special for 3 months where we just had to pay interest only and we have extended our term one time as well. And just for signing up with them they dropped our payment from $389.xx to $218.xx and we don't have good credit - i'd say more "fair credit"
- Cut coupons. May sound simple. Treat coupons like money! I know there is a post on here about food stamps but we never could qualify. You know...we make "too much" for a family of four with one income. But, coupons are a great way. And if you don't like to cut them...they have electronic programs that load them onto your club savings card and all you do is scan at the food store!
- Call around home/auto insurance companies and get the best rate.
- Redbox. This has been a godsend for us! $1 ******! Sometimes just watching a ***** takes your mind off the bad stuff in life & at $1 you can't beat it!
- If you have pets - instead of going to the vet to get routine vaccines...try the local shelter. They have cheaper rates and you don't have to pay for an exam each time.
- Hot Coupon World is an excellent savings site for any store you can imagine!
- Plan Meals. This will cut down on take out and save $$ as well.
These things helped our house when we didn't know how we'd make it. I hope they help you too!