Home Loans and Support

"Tiny House Movement" Growing in Popularity

Discussion in 'Real Estate & Property Investing' started by Evan Bedard, May 8, 2012.

1. Evan Bedard

Evan Bedard Call 1-800-779-4547 Loan Safe Mortgage

"Tiny House Movement" Growing in Popularity

"When it comes to the American Dream, the success of a man and his socioeconomic status in the world, bigger is better has always been the mantra.

From the estates in Rhode Island to the mc-mansions in California, the more powerful a person was, the more real estate he or she laid claim to. But that might all be changing soon, with a little idea that is making a big impact.

It’s called the tiny house movement and each year more Americans are forgoing the walk-in closets and his and her sinks for something a bit cozier. These houses range from a few dozen to a few hundred square feet and they help owners escape what they call debtor prisons."

Source: RT News
  2. RyanJP

RyanJP LoanSafe Member

While I generally agree that a two person household doesn't have need for a 3,000 sqft home, I shudder at the thought of living in a space only a "few dozen" sqft.

Even The Honeymooners had more space than that...

Granted they would be cheap to build. I'll bet they'd be nearly impossible to sell, though.
  3. Evan Bedard

Yes I agree it would be pretty much impossible for even one person to live in a few dozen square feet, that one really doesn't make sense to me as it is about the size of a bathroom.. Maybe a few hundred sq feet would be doable for a very small family.. They would definitely be quite difficult to sell, but would be great for the rental properties and people looking for a temporary place to reside.
  4. RyanJP

RyanJP LoanSafe Member

Excellent point... I think they would make great rental properties for younger folks who are just moving out from home, and maybe even older folks who want to seriously downsize.
  5. Cat Damiano

Cat Damiano Mortgage Wars

6. BustedBrokeBeaten

BustedBrokeBeaten LoanSafe Member

Kinda off topic but kinda not. There are families in India that live in living quarters that are literally as small as some bathrooms and smaller than most. I guess people do what they have to do to survive. I saw this on an Oprah show recently aired. It's facinating how they manage their small space and stay positive, especially since their living space can be literally next door to the more lavish homes of the rich.
  7. RyanJP

RyanJP LoanSafe Member

Yeah, cultural differences are pretty vast around the world. Many cultures are used to having large numbers of people living in a small area... The kind of numbers what would get them evicted / condemned here in the states. My uncle was a firefighter in Milwaukee, and he told me stories of finding 10-15 people living in two and three bedroom homes of no more than 1000 sqft. It was usually one of two specific nationalities when they came on these situations, and always 1st or 2nd generations residents.

With my wasteful American self, I would feel crowded with more than two people per bedroom. Two parents and four kids in a three bedroom house would be my comfort level.

I draw the line at renovated dumpsters, though. lol
  8. Jeffrey L. Shurtliff

Jeffrey L. Shurtliff LoanSafe Member

People are living in storage areas here. Sad deal. One part of society and getting bigger is having a hard time and the other part doing OK just goes about their merry way.
    Maybe if they can get enough of these tiny house sold; then they can inflate the value of them too. Then they will have all of these tiny little defaults and foreclosures and tiny little modifications made by the tiny little banks; offering tiny little car loans to get us all to drive around in the little clown cars.
  9. Evan Bedard

I happen to come across someone from my childhood a couple of weekends ago and sadly he was all alone living in his storage unit sleeping on an old couch... But he is very positive about his situation since he has no wife or kids and hopes to get back on his feet asap, all he cares about is having a roof over his head..