Home Loans and Support

Some AHMSI strategies for Texas homeowners

Discussion in 'Option One Mortgage - American Home Mortgage Servi' started by Melina, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Melina

Melina LoanSafe Member

I'm currently attempting to get a permanent loan modification with AHMSI. The crap started when I was laid off last summer - I applied for the Home Affordable Unemployment Program (HAUP) so I wouldn't have to pay my mortgage for three months. AHMSI qualified me for this.

A few months after my layoff, I was rehired at my old employer. Different department, a little more money. I called AHMSI (I had just made the third HAUP payment) and said I'd like to start paying my mortgage again, please.

Six months and countless phone calls later, and I'm STILL trying to start paying my mortgage again. Initially, AHMSI insisted I apply for a HAMP mod. After four months they turned me down (my debt to income ratio isn't high enough - but they do not define debt to income the way REAL lenders do). I've been careful to bank at least 50% of every paycheck so, if they suddenly try to collect six months of payments, I can cough up.

Tired of the stress, I decided to try a few things to speed up the process:

1. Since the Texas Attorney General's office has filed a complaint regarding AHMSI, I sent a fax to the AG's office outlining AHMSI's treatment of me. Even though they offered no help, I had a call from AHMSI's "Customer Advocacy" dept two days later. I'm sure the AG's office contacted AHMSI, as the their rep used my maiden name - not my married name, which is on my mortgage.

2. Do a little RESPA homework with Google, and make note of AHMSI's RESPA violations as they pertain to your own AHMSI agonies. Document them carefully, then type them up and send them to HUD and your state's Attorney General.

This URL will help you document RESPA violations, and also has the proper address to send them to:

HUD RESPA: More Information