Home Loans and Support

recourse loan on investment property

Discussion in 'Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure - Do You Need Help to ' started by Mardeflores, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Mardeflores

Mardeflores LoanSafe Member

Hello all,

I am considering walking away from a rental property in Ca that has two recourse loans with C.W. totaling 300k. The house is now worth about 150k. I have a primary residence with about 200k in equity. Will the lender on my investment property come after my equity on my primary residence. If so , how can I protect my primary residence.
  2. ProfessorShays

ProfessorShays LoanSafe Member

Your first loan will likely not be recourse because the lender will probably follow a non-judicial foreclosure path. That will probably not be the case with the second loan if I'm correct in sensing that it will lose its security interest as a result of the first loan's foreclosure. Therefore it will be treated as an unsecured loan for collection purposes.

I would encourage you to read the following thread relating to California homesteads.
    http://www.loansafe.org/forum/deed-...vs-foreclosure-when-theres-judgment-lien.html

Daniel