Home Loans and Support

Is it okay to sign/subit IRS Form 4506-T by your spouse, If your spouse is not on the property deed?

Discussion in 'Short Sale Outpost' started by kman-uw, Jan 17, 2013.

1. kman-uw

kman-uw LoanSafe Member

Is it okay to submit/sign IRS 4506-T form if your spouse is not on the property deed and you have jointly filed your taxes during a short sale process?

Lenders can misuse this information? Any advise please?
  2. Evan Bedard

Evan Bedard Call 1-800-779-4547 Loan Safe Mortgage

Is your lender requesting that you spouse sign the 4506-t to continue with the short sale? If your spouse is not attached to the mortgage nor on the deed there is generally no reason why they need to submit/sign anything to move forward with the short sale..
  3. kman-uw

kman-uw LoanSafe Member

Thanks Evan.It was actually requested by our negotiator/attorney who is handling the short sale process with the bank.It's part of the bank application for SS process.I am the only one on the mortgage or deed.

One more clarification of the form 4506-T: At the signature section it says as below " If the request applies to a joint return, either husband or wife must sign."
    What exactly that mean if i just sign my self still they can pull the tax history for both as our tax returns are filed jointly?.

Signature of taxpayer(s). I declare that I am either the taxpayer whose name is shown on line 1a or 2a, or a person authorized to obtain the tax information requested. If the request applies to a joint return, either husband or wife must sign. If signed by a corporate officer, partner, guardian, tax matters partner, executor, receiver, administrator, trustee, or party other than the taxpayer, I certify that I have the authority to execute Form 4506-T on behalf of the taxpayer. Note. For transcripts being sent to a third party, this form must be received within 120 days of the signature date.
  4. Evan Bedard

Evan Bedard Call 1-800-779-4547 Loan Safe Mortgage

Yes from my understanding if either you or your wife sign this form they may pull both of your credit reports since you filed taxes jointly. Your wife's information should not effect the process since she is not a borrower on the account..