Home Loans and Support

FHA self-employed with cosigner?

Discussion in 'FHA Loans, Requirements & Rates' started by jennylela, Sep 3, 2011.

1. jennylela

jennylela LoanSafe Member

My husband is self-employed. He does not yet have 2 years of 1099s. We both have Good credit scores. If we got a co-signer (my father), do you know if would we be able to qualify for an FHA loan without waiting for the 2 years?

Do you have any idea of the chances of getting turned down even after the two years of verified income and having to go with a cosigner anyway? The reason I ask is that we won't be able to write anything off this year on taxes in order to show higher income, and will have to fork over $18,000+ for taxes. If we are still going to have to go the cosigner route anyway, we'd rather save that $$$

Thanks for any help!

jenny
  2. TomEason

TomEason LoanSafe Guide Staff Member

jenny

Thanks for your post and welcome to Loansafe.

I recommend you consult with a good loan broker who does FHA loans. A broker who is experienced with FHA loans will likely know the answer.

If it were me, I wouldn't consider paying over $18k just to look good on a loan application and qualify for the loan.

As far as your tax return showing Schedule C profit, you might consider following in the footsteps of Turbotax Timmy Geithner, our illustrious Treas Sec, by using some creative license, LOL.
  3. Cat Damiano

Cat Damiano Mortgage Wars

Hi jennylela,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for joining.........

In addition to the information Tom provided, you can also ask a question about FHA loans by sending it to HUD here:

answers@hud.gov

It is going to be difficult to get around the two years as anything less for a self employed borrower is not considered effective income. For less than two years there are still requirements to show previous years of successful employment.

FHA income guidelines to qualify for a home loan
  4. jennylela

jennylela LoanSafe Member

Thank you both for your responses. We are going to meet with a loan officer in the next week or two see if we can save at least some of the tax money...
  5. Cat Damiano

Cat Damiano Mortgage Wars

Good Luck! Please keep us posted on what you are able to find out.