Home Loans and Support

Emergency Homeowners loan program EHLP

Discussion in 'Stop Foreclosure and Tell Us Your Story' started by enoughchase, Oct 22, 2011.

1. enoughchase

enoughchase LoanSafe Member

Has anyone received an approval letter for EHLP in the last month? My family did, but we haven't heard another word on it. It was an official letter from HUD outlining how much we qualified for. When I ask the agency that helped us apply for EHLP, they say they haven't heard much and don't know much either about what is going on. Frustrating. Wondering if anyone else is in this situation or had success?
  2. Cat Damiano

Cat Damiano Mortgage Wars

HI enoughchase,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for joining.............

If you have not already done so, you may want to contact either Neighbor Works directly or HUD directly from the following contacts to check on the EHLP program.

EHLPmainPage
  3. enoughchase

Yes I have....seems they have no answers. All I have been told is they have up the date to mid Nov for payouts. They never give a yes, you are all set answer or where they are with the paperwork. Frustrating when could lose your home...
  4. Grimmhope

Grimmhope LoanSafe Member

I to have applied for assistance under EHLP and have yet to receive a reply one way or the other and am currently facing foreclosure.
  5. enoughchase

The agency that I went through said many clients haven't heard one way or another. As I said we received a approval letter, but since haven't heard anything. I wonder if anyone has been approved and received help?? So frustrating!!
  6. Grimmhope

I contacted the agency that submitted my paperwork yesterday and was gien an e-mail address to inquire as to the status of my application, ehlpinquiry@homeownership.org, still waiting on a reply.
  7. enoughchase

Thank you, I will give it a try too.
  8. Handyman

Handyman LoanSafe Member

I also got a "approval and commitment" letter dated 9/29/2011 and cant get any more info.
  9. Grimmhope

I called the HUD phonenumber on Monday and told me to contact the agency which submitted my paperwork to check the status. I contacted them and they couldn't understand why HUD was telling me to contact them, since they got their info from HUD, Bottom line, I still don't know the status of my application other than it has been submitted!
  10. Cat Damiano

Cat Damiano Mortgage Wars

Grimmhope,

For an FHA loan you can also try the FHA Outreach Center;

FHA Outreach Center
    1-800-CALL FHA (800-225-5342)
  11. deelooney

deelooney LoanSafe Member

I received an approval letter dated 9/27/11 and have not received anything else. I called the local agency and they said HUD will contact me and that they would not here anything. I tried calling HUD and was told they will eveything out by the end of the month. She also said that once the approval letter comes, the next step would be a notary calling to set up to meet to sign and notarize the loan documents and from there it moves quickly. The letter does say someting about it expires after 60 days from the date of the letter - well 60 days is 11/25/11 on.y 13 days away - which means, if I get approved, I need to hope their notary calls asap and get to the post office all before the deadline.
  12. enoughchase

Deelooney, My letter also says it expires 60 days from the date of the letter-mine is 09/29/11. I talked through email with someone at EHLP@nw.org and when I asked if they were communicating with my mortgage company, this was the reply:

HUD and the Fiscal Agent are in the process of reviewing your application. Upon the conclusion of their review, they will notify you of your approval for a loan or otherwise, no later than the middle of November.
    For any additional questions, please communicate with the counseling agency that received your EHLP documents and submitted your application.

Also...
    HUD and the Fiscal Agent are working with loan servicers during this verification period to make sure that they understand EHLP assistance. However, the quickest way to inform them is for you to also supply them with a copy of your commitment letter. This way they can ensure that this information is in your file more quickly.

Seems to me the clock is ticking....

13. Grimmhope

At least you all have received a response. I'm still waiting to get something, one way or the other. Package was submitted 10/13/11.
  14. enoughchase

It didn't come certified, maybe it didn't find it's way to you? I would keep calling and emailing anyone that has anything to do with EHLP. When I emailed EHLP@nw.org, it took a few days to get back to me...but they did. The agency I used does get updates, and sent me a copy of what they have. I would think your agency would have something....
  15. deelooney

I emailed the address that enoughchase had in his post (thanks). I asked about not hearing anything since the 9/27th letter, I also asked abut the deadline of 60 days. I received an updated response stating almost the same as enoughchase posted but they did NOT put in the part about "hearing no later than the middle of November" but they did write the following:
    "I realize that there were dates/time frames listed on the commitment letters, but the process is taking HUD longer than anticipated and they have extended the deadlines. They are processing the information as quickly as possible. You will receive a letter from HUD soon to let you know of your final elgibiilty determiniation. If anyone hears anything more or receives anything, please keep us posted. Have a great day and good luck to all.
  16. EHLPAPPLICANT

EHLPAPPLICANT LoanSafe Member

The EHLP program has been poorly administered by HUD from the start. My application, as well as many others apparently, was submitted through Neighborhood Works (CounselorMax system) that interfaces with HUD's (HopeLoanPort system). Although it was submitted on time, HUD's fiscal agent never received it. Because of this, there have been many meetings at HUD with people involved in this program and HUD's legal counsel and the Office of the Inspector General. They need to make sure everything is compliant with statutory requirements, etc. before they can approve loans affected. Last I heard, they were going to issue a commitment letter, but I am not counting on anything at this point.

The point person at HUD is Joel Ibanez (202-708-0317 ext. 4378). The Program Director is Todd Richardson (202-708-1537 Ext. 5706). I suggest you keep calling them until things are resolved. I call them almost every day and if I don't hear back, I call them every hour until I hear back. If you don't hear back from them, call Carol Galante (Assistant Secretary) at 202-708-2601 Ext. 2400 and even Shaun Donovan's office (Secretary and Head Person) of HUD at 202-708-0417. If you call Carol Galante and Shaun Donovan, you will likely get their secretary, but keep calling. They are all public employees paid for by your tax dollars, and we deserve answers and more efficiency in our government than this. Good luck. I know they are working on it, but it is too easy for things to slide to the back burner. In the meantime, banks are foreclosing and trying to take our homes away.
  17. enoughchase

Great information. Thanks!
  18. Grimmhope

EHLPAPPLICANT, how did you know/find out that your app was not received? My app was submitted through Springboard in Calif. i keep calling them and they don't know.
  19. EHLPAPPLICANT

EHLPAPPLICANT LoanSafe Member

I was quite persistent and kept calling different offices until I got through to the right people. I would also call your Senator and your state office for HUD. Also, you could start calling the Treasury or the Financial Oversight office. It is amazing how the big banks can get the bailouts but we can't even get answers. The more voices they hear from, the better.
  20. deelooney

I heard that there are a few files from NY that had a system error and wouldn't you know it - mine is one of them.
    No answer on what they will do. My commitment letter expires in 2 days....... Has anyone heard anything?