Home Loans and Support

Can my mortgage bank force an impound account to pay my property taxes after a modification. Please

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Anything goes here!' started by Cyn70, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Cyn70

Cyn70 LoanSafe Member

First of all thank you for taking the time to read this.

Almost two years ago we signed and had notarized a mortgage modification we were very happy with. At the time of the modification my mortgage was with USAFederal Credit Union and a few months ago it was bought by Navy Federal. USAFCU did not offer the option to escrow for taxes so the modification only included our monthly payment (P&I). When Navy Federal took over nothing changed everything stayed the same. Then something happened this week and the problem began...I called my mortgage company only to ask for information about whether they offer the option to have our taxes impounded and how much it would be. That is all I called Navy FCU for, nothing else. The reason I had called for information was because we were a little behind on our property taxes and I wanted to see if maybe it be better if we have the taxes impounded. Please know I never asked them to begin the process, I was just calling for information. Well guess what, I received my mortgage statement and I noticed I had a negative 4K for property taxes. Come to find out, the bank without authorization from us went ahead and paid our property taxes and created an impound account and they are saying my mortgage will go up $900 a month. There is no way we can afford that. Can they do this? I never say I wanted to start an impound account, I even made a payment to our property taxes. I am so scare, I hate to start getting ahead of myself but I went through so much hell getting this modification and only because I called to ask a simple question. Can they do this? Please help me. Thank you
  2. nikfrz

nikfrz LoanSafe Member

I think most loan documents allow them to set up an escrow. When you questioned it, that sent up a reg flag to them, and they saw that you were behind.

I hope you get it worked out.