Hi I am new to the forum and looking for some advice/information for Michigan. I included my 1st and 2nd mortgage in our bankruptcy in 2010, did not reaffirm.
Life happened and basically the lender said they would help and we were to pay every other month until we could get caught up, 6 months in they foreclosed on us (Aug 2012) even though they were taking the payments. They waited until 3 months past due came about then came after us, going right to a lawyer. We were in the home for 14 years but it was underwater and we could not come up with the past due, insurance fee, and lawyer fees so we let it go into foreclosure.
It went to sheriff sale with the lender buying it back for the balance. The lender had a real-estate agent send us a letter offering us up to $3000 if we did a short sale but we were advised against it. We moved out 3 months before the redemption period ended but because of lack of help and medical issues it took us till the evening of the redemption period ending to get everything out. Received one call 2 weeks before due to be out from lender reminding us that the end was coming and then another one on the day asking if we were out. I told the lender no because we were still working on it. The electric went off the next week and so did the gas. Water reuses to let us shut it off because they say the lender is now responsible for it.
So now what? I have not heard from the lender, and I did not call them because I thought they would move in the second the redemption period ended since they were bugging us. So my questions are:
1) Will they just send us an eviction notice? Will it come to our new home since we have the mail forwarded or do I need to keep checking the old house?
2) I am no longer responsible for the home, upkeep or damages? (I took a video of the home with a newspaper showing the date to prove that I did not take the walls or fixtures, etc).
3) Do I have to take them the keys?
4) What about wear and tear damage? The paint and carpets are a wreck from use and not being replaced in the 14 years we were there.
5) Anything I need to know about being sued later?
I am just worn down emotionally, I lost my home of 14 years and I just want to move on. Any advice/info would be appreciated.