This was submitted by a gentleman at another forum and I thought these were great tips, so I posted them here.
know this goes without saying, but I wanted to post a few money saving tips to help people get through the hollidays
1) Financial Aid - If you have financial aid loans, you can request a 6 month "hardship" break from your payment. You just simply need to call your financial aid company (Nelnet or Sallie Mae), and fill out the form. This saved the wife and I $500 per month (she applied also)
2) Reduce your cable package. Cut it back to the basic package, especially if you are paying $100 per month
3) If you have a cable modem, order VONAGE instead of the local bell company. I have used vonage for 4 years, it works awesome. Verizon charged me $80 per month, Vonage is $30 per month
4) Raise the deducatables to the max on your insurances, such as car and home. This will drop your premiums and save another couple dollars per month
5) Shopping for Christmas- instead of hitting the mall, check out Ross, TJ Max, Marshalls, and some of the other discount stores. Not only do you find incredible deals, but the stuff is random and not as cookie cutter as the mall. Mikasa vases for $8? wow!
6) Car Maintence- now is the time to double check all the basics thigns related to car care. Tire Pressure certainly helps your gas mileage. Also, check out website like www.gasbuddy.com for the best gas deals in your area. Watch the speed on the highway!
7) If it's just you and the spouse, buy a small space heater for the bedroom, instead of heating your entire house. It costs a lot less to just warm your bedroom at night, than to warm you entire house (this may only work in the south where it's above 40 degrees at night)
Need a cheap work lunch? Dollar menu for the win! Stop spending $7 on lunch, get a cheeseburger and a cup of water. $1 for lunch! Save $100 per month!
9) EBAY! Got some old clothes, electronics, and other things taking up space? Take a pic and put it on ebay! You'd be amazing what people pay for stuff on ebay.
10) Sunday Paper! Check out the sunday paper for coupons, clip them and use them! You can cut $20+ off your grocery bill just by using coupons.
I'll think of more, but hopefully this helps