I am hoping to settle our second and I need some advice. Here is our current situation. Our chapter 7 bk was discharged this month. We are in Georgia and have a 1st and 2nd mortgage. The home's current value is $130,000. We owed $137,000 on the first and $20,000 on the second. We are current on our first and haven't paid at all on our second since April 2011. I believe the second was charged off late last year. The servicer for the second is Green Tree and the investor is BOA. We have never spoke with GT. We have not received any type statement from them since last year.
The house is in some disrepair, however we do not feel comfortable investing any money in to it with the possibility of GT foreclosing in the future. I know part of the guide to settling is letting them make the first offer, but I really don't want to keep waiting. The condition of the house is driving me crazy. I either want to start making repairs or start preparing to move out and let it foreclose. We prefer the former. If we initiate negotiations is it advisable/preferable to deal directly with the investor? Will they even work with us. GT has a horrible reputation and I rather not deal with them all together. Thanks for any insight!