We filed Ch. 7 bk last year and it was discharged in July 2009. We did not reaffirm our mortgage with Chase. We applied for a loan modification and made our first payment 10/1/09. Sent in documents multiple times, continued to be told it was "in review". Finally got fed up and called the HOPE hotline late January 2010. Was told it was going to be escalated and that someone would call me within a few days.
Low and behold "Katie" calls me on 2/4/10 from the treasury conversion team (whatever that means) and says my file has now been sent to underwriting. The next day, on 2/5/10, Katie again calls and says the underwriter wants a new hardship letter, expenses, paystubs, etc, which I send back to her the same day. She confirms receipt of all documents and I finally have hope that things are moving along.
On 2/17/10, Katie calls and says my file has been submitted to the investor for final approval (my investor is Wells Fargo). She said they don't have a deadline as far as making a decision but was hopeful a decision would be made soon.
The next week, I call Katie and leave her a message asking for status. To this day, I have not received a return call and her voicemail is now full. I was given the underwriter's name and number and call him several times, finally reaching him by phone on 2/25/10. He says that because my file has been "escalated" he is unable to speak to me and refuses to give me any information. I press him as hard as I can trying to find out if a decision has been made, even if he can't tell me what the decision is, but he refuses to give me any information, basically saying I need to talk to Katie.
On 3/1/10, I make my 6th trial payment of $1860 thinking that I don't want to mess anything up and have high hopes we'll be approved and this will all be over soon.
Today, 3/2/10, I call the status line again only to be told my file is now with "loss mitigation" and I'm given another number to call. This is the first time I've heard of my file being with loss mitigation so now I'm starting to worry. I call the number I was given and was told that my file is now "in litigation" and that they can't give me any information. I said that I'm not litigating them so it's got to be the other way around and asked if that means that I was denied and they're going to foreclose. They refused to give me any information and said that all they could do was send an email to the legal department and have someone call me. I've received no notices in the mail or on my door.
What does this mean? Was our modification denied and now they are foreclosing? Why won't anyone talk to me at Chase...it's driving me up a wall!!! I can accept if I'm going to lose my home but at least want one of them to tell me the truth so I can begin planning. If anyone knows what it means when they say it's "in litigation" and with the legal department, please let me know. The suspense is killing me!!!