Q. Dear LoanSafe.org, I have had a very difficult time over the last year paying my mortgage because of unexpected employment circumstances. My husband took a large pay-cut at work last year and I have recently had a child. So now I am a stay at home mother. We have been diligently calling our mortgage servicer for help and they are not providing any mortgage assistance for our situation. Do you know of any government agencies that offer free loan modification assistance?

A. There are a few government agencies that offer loan modification assistance and counseling services for individuals like yourself who are struggling to maintain their monthly mortgage payments. Most government services you will find offer counseling services to help you get on the right track and some may even help you negotiate with your lender. Below I placed some links and phone numbers to a few reputable agencies that you can contact for help.

  • HUD certified counselors:

The Department of Housing and Urban Development provides a list of various non-profit agencies that offer foreclosure counseling services in your area. These counselors will sit down and take the time to review your entire financial situation to determine whether or not you may qualify for a mortgage modification. If they feel you are eligible for assistance they will help you compile a package of your financial documents to send to your mortgage servicer. You can use this search tool to help you find local counselors. There will be no charge for their services as they are funded by HUD and Neighborworks America.


HOPE NOW is another very popular non-profit organization that provides loan modification services for struggling homeowners. They are an alliance between counselors, mortgage companies, investors, and other mortgage market participants. The main goal of this organization is to help homeowners avoid foreclosure and remain in their homes. HOPE NOW has a team of trained individuals that specialize in foreclosure prevention efforts. These counselors can educate homeowners with tools they need to fight foreclosure and may even help with negotiations as well. You can contact this agency through the Homeowner’s HOPE™ Hotline at 888-995-HOPE or visit their website, www.995HOPE.org.

  • Making Home Affordable (MHA) & Home Affordable Modification Program (HAMP):

You can also check out the government’s Making Home Affordable website. Here you will find a lot of information in regards to the govt’s loan modificaiton and refinance programs that are aimed to help fight foreclosure.

Please be very wary of any anyone who requires a few for loan modification or foreclosure prevention services. These individuals target those who are in default on their mortgage so please try to recognize and avoid these scam artists. Here are some tips to help you avoid these scams: Warning Signs of Loan Modification Fraud.

Other Links & Help:

  • Get Mortgage Help Now – By County
  • Loan Servicer “Hotline” Contact Numbers
  • What if You Cannot Pay Your Mortgage?
  • (VA) – Trouble Making Payments
  • Mortgage Payments Sending you Reeling? Here’s What To Do
  • NeighborWorks America
  • National Association of Consumer Advocate Attorneys – NACA
  • Neighborhood Assistance Corpoartion – NACA
  • National Association of Bankruptcy Attorneys – NACBA
  • Keys to Preserving Homeownership
  • Search for Mortgage Rates

    Moe Bedard on linkedinMoe Bedard on facebookMoe Bedard on email2
    Moe Bedard
    Moe Bedard
    Founder at LoanSafe.org
    My name is Maurice "Moe" Bedard. I am the founder of America's #1 Mortgage Forum, LoanSafe.org. My online work has been featured in the New York Times, LA Times, Fox Business, and many other media publications. I currently live in Carlsbad, California with my beautiful wife and children.

    Pin It on Pinterest

    Share This